Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Debugging Address Error

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Folks,

Its taken me about 3 weeks of 'piddling' work to make my 6,000 line program, which is 100% F95 and runs just fine under CVF, compile under ifl. Now, when I execute it, it throws up
** Adress Error **
End of Diagnostics

which isn't very useful. EDB is apparently unable to find the exact point at which it chokes, instead, I am apparently supposed to step through the program line-by-line until it crashes.

So my questions are:
(a) what is an address error?
(b) is there any way to fix it that doesn't involve pressing some combination of F10 & F11 50,000 times?
(c) is it even something that I might be able to fix?

Matt.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
"address error" is what would be "access violation" in CVF. I'm not familiar with the use of EDB, so I can't help you there. What version of Intel Fortran do you have?

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Steve,

thanks for your reply--in hindsight, my post sounds a bit screechy & I didn't mean it that way--just a frustrating few days.

I am using ifl v7 build 20021028

BTW, can one integrate ifl into the CVF IDE? (i.e. I don't use the .NET IDE) All of the docs refer to MSVS.NET

Matt.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No, IFL can't integrate with CVF - you can install what's called a "plugin", allowing you to do IFL compiles from Visual Studio 6, but if you do, CVF will no longer work.

You should be able to run the executable in the VS6 debugger, though - from a "Fortran Command Prompt" session, type:

DFDEV yourprog.exe

See what you get doing this.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Steve,

I tried the DFDEV foo.exe route, and it launched the IDE, but it was blank, w/ an empty folder in the 'FileView' area called foo.exe.

This was compiled with full debugging info. All I am really looking for is some way to either (a) get traceback info from the address error or (b) get it to break at the error in the debugger. Any ideas or should I send this to premier?

Matt.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Do the DFDEV thing, and then press F5 to start the executable in the debugger. It may give you a clue. No traceback though, sorry, that's CVF-only.

Steve
0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee
Hi Matt -

You also need to manually load the source file(s) for your executable. Once you've done that, set a break at the first line, and click GO. When the Build menu turns to Debug, select Debug-Exceptions, and set everything to "Stop Always". Now when you go, with any luck, DFDEV will stop and display your source line that causes the problem.

I have had some success doing this with small programs, although I have to admit, never with an "address error".

- Lorri
0 Kudos
Matt_Walsh
Beginner
This is an old thread, but I ran into the same problem - wanting to debug an address error - and found a way to force a core dump from an Intel-compiled Fortran executable in Linux.

You basically re-define the signals. I threw up a web page about it here:

http://mattwalsh.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/ForcingTheIntelCompilerToCoreDump
0 Kudos