Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28528 Discussions

Extremely simple offload example: "Unexpected number of variable descriptors"

PKM
Beginner

Hi 

In the extremely simple example below I never enter the offload region, but receive the runtime error message:  "Unexpected number of variable descriptors"

What could possibly be the problem here? I run the latest version of parallel studio XE on windows server 2008 R2.

Best regards,

C

program Console2
    implicit none
    print *,'Starting on host ...'
!DIR$ OFFLOAD BEGIN TARGET(mic:0)
    print *,'On phi ...'
!DIR$ END OFFLOAD   
    print *,'Back on host ...'
    end program Console2

Compiler arguments:

/nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:"x64\Debug\\" /object:"x64\Debug\\" /Fd"x64\Debug\vc110.pdb" /traceback /check:all /libs:static /threads /dbglibs /c

Linker arguments:

/OUT:"x64\Debug\Console2.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /qoffload-ldopts="-lifcoremt" /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"C:\Users\casper.kirkegaard\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\Console2\Console2\x64\Debug\Console2.exe.intermediate.manifest" /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /DEBUG /PDB:"C:\Users\casper.kirkegaard\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\Console2\Console2\x64\Debug\Console2.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /IMPLIB:"C:\Users\casper.kirkegaard\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\Console2\Console2\x64\Debug\Console2.lib"

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I don't know what the underlying issue is just yet, but I reproduced the error and this occurs because of /check:all.

Can you change the property setting Fortran > Run-time > Runtime Error Checking back to Custom and then you can select Yes to all of the individual checks except for Check for Uninitialized Variables which when set leads to the error.

I will investigate this further and post again when I know more.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The error occurs in conjunction with /debug:full and /check:uninit. I directed this to Development (see internal tracking id below) and will keep you updated about a fix. You may temporarily work around the issue by avoiding that option combination.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200358961)

0 Kudos
PKM
Beginner

Thanks Kevin ...

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

This issue is also exists in the current 15.0 Beta, but it has been fixed for the upcoming 15.0 initial release.

0 Kudos