Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Fortran Compiler 10.1 install problem

Yihai_B_
Beginner

I want to install an older Fortran Compiler v. 10.1 after installed the 2016 Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition. I downloaded the file 'w_fc_p_10.1.034.ia64.exe' and tried to install it. I had an error message saying 'Setup did not find a supported Microsoft Visual Studio ...' Following the instruction, I checked the release notes saying that a Microsoft Visual Studio Premier Partner Edition will be installed if the license type is not Evaluation and Student. I am confused since I uses the Commercial license for the 2016 Parallel Studio. Do I have to install Microsoft Visual Studio to solve this problem? If so, what version? Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You downloaded the wrong installer. Get the one that doesn't have "iaxx" at the end (nor "novsshell"). What you are trying to install is a compiler for Intel Itanium processors, and none of the downloads with "iaxx" (ia32, intel64, ia64) in the name have the shell.

You will also have issues with VS2005 on post-XP versions of Windows. Unfortunately, Microsoft took down their pages on how to make VS2005 sort-of compatible with Vista (and Win7).

I have to ask, though - why are you installing such an ancient compiler?

0 Kudos
Yihai_B_
Beginner

Thank you Steve. I need this compiler for a finite element software LS-DYNA. I am doing a User Defined Material (UMAT) for our project at NIST. I need this older version compiler since LS-DYNA requires compatible compiler as what they have been using for QA test to add this UMAT. If i understand correctly, even with the correct installer i will have compatible issue with Win7 on my machine. The only way to solve this is that i will have to install a newer version of visual studio? 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

If you can find a copy of Visual Studio 2008, that will work. Nothing newer. If you are building only from the command line, and not using the Visual Studio IDE, the VS2005 Premier Partner Edition that 10.1 installs may still work.

My advice is to use the current compiler, ignoring the fact that the information you've read about LS-DYNA hasn't been updated in five years. Any issues you run into we can probably help with here.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

LS-DYNA docs posted to internet 3 years ago specified ifort 11.1. If you are working at NIST, one would think you should be working under license with current versions.

0 Kudos
Yihai_B_
Beginner

Thanks for your help, Steve and Tim. I am building the executable only from the command line. Therefore, I first downloaded the correct v10.1 installer with VS2005 Premier Partner Edition and tried to make the executable using ifort10.1 compiler. This approach was failed.

Then I downloaded a newer lib files from LSTC (smp_d_R711_winx64_ifort131) and installed the ifort13.1 compiler with VS2010 Premier Partner Edition. This time it worked. I have tested the newly built executable and found no problem so far.

0 Kudos
Yihai_B_
Beginner

Hello, I am having a problem recently that never happened before. The same compiler I have used for the past a few month showing me a message saying "fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libguide40.lib' ". Is this related to the recent windows update? I have not changed anything. Any clue?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No, it is not related to a Windows Update.  libguide40.lib was the OpenMP library for compiler version 10.1. Make sure that it is still in the compiler's Lib folder. Note that if you compiled a source with version 10.1 and then tried to link it with a newer version, it may give this error because libguide40.lib is no longer provided, having been replaced with a different library. In this case recompilation is required.

0 Kudos
Yihai_B_
Beginner

Thanks Steve. You reminder me to check the compiler's Lib folder. I just searched the 'libguide40.lib' file and copied it into the compiler's Lib folder. The problem seems solved for now. However, it is a mystery since the source was compiled with version 13.1 and I have complied the same files without issues in the past few weeks.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You probably have a source or library that was compiled with an older compiler. If your program uses OpenMP, mixing libguide40 with the newer libiomp5mt.lib is likely to cause significant run-time errors.

I suggest removing the library you copied, look at the linker error messages for the object modules that are referencing the old routines, and recompiling those sources.

0 Kudos