cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ivo
Beginner

Fortran Compiler for Abaqus

Jump to solution

Hi, I need a compiler for running Fortran Subroutines in Abaqus. I am using Abaqus 2018. In my understanding I should go for Intel Parallel Studio XE. Does the newest version work with Abaqus 2018?

Thanks

0 Kudos
50 Replies
Greg_T_
New Contributor III

Hi Ivo,

For more help with the Abaqus side of this issue, the 3DExperience "Modeling and Simulation" (ModSim) on-line community web page may be a source of assistance. 

I use my 3DExperience login to access the on-line Abaqus documentation, the SIMULIA web pages, and access the 3DSwym community pages.  The ModSim community web page is at:
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexperience.3ds.com/#community:NW2ka9hPSeGtBpFUAtPUcQ

If you don't yet have a login, you should be able create a new login for access.  I believe you can post a question there, or browse the many articles and links to see if others have addressed using the OneAPI Fortran compiler with Abaqus.

Regards, Greg T.

arogz
Novice

Thank you all for your replies in this thread. I have been in touch with Dassault Systems technical support team and I can finally confirm that the issues I am having  with the compiler included in the oneAPI toolkit are due to compatibility issues. According to them the following versions are 100% compatible with Abaqus2020  in Windows:

-Intel® Fortran Version 16.0.1 is a Qualified Platform with Visual Studio 2015 Update 3.
-Intel® Fortran Version 19.0.4 with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 is a Validated Platform

I searched in your website and found out that for students and researchers (like myself) it is only possible to download oneAPI toolkit distributions, perhaps I am wrong? Otherwise, I would really appreciate if you could tell me how can I have access to one of the aforementioned versions of the Fortran compiler.

Many thanks!

mecej4
Black Belt

In my opinion (and mine only: I do not speak for Intel), it would be far better for everyone concerned if the Abaqus developers provided their users script files for use with the current release of the Intel Fortran compiler, instead of sending their customers here with repetitive requests for old versions that may not be available anymore. It should take them about an hour to do this work.

arogz
Novice

Dear @mecej4 ,

First of all, many thanks for taking the time of actively replying to this thread. And just for the sake of clarification, nobody in Dassault Systems explicitly sent me to you (Intel nor this forum).

I found there is a way to download previous versions of the compiler https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/older-version-product.html unfortunately it seems that this is only possible if a license has been purchased. Can I apply for such a license as a PhD student? If so, what is the procedure?

BR

mecej4
Black Belt

I cannot answer licensing questions. Note that many pages that predate the release of OneAPI may contain statements that are no longer valid.

I suggest that you try going through the Online Service Center . State your needs and make your request there.

arogz
Novice

Thanks @mecej4 !

anis
Beginner

Hi everyone, i am a PhD student and need the compiler for my research.

did any of you resolve this issue?

sincerely,

mecej4
Black Belt

There is no "issue" if you want just the current version of the compiler package, which you may obtain from this link .

If you want an older version, or need help to get the compiler to work with a third party package such as Abaqus, which is the topic of this thread, there are issues and limitations.

anis
Beginner

Hi, 

that is exactly my concern, Abaqus. I sent a request for older versions of the compiler and hope to get an answer soon, Thanks

Kamalendu
New Contributor I

Hi All,

I wrote to SIMULIA about this issue and the following is their reply:

"

We/SIMULIA have not tested this brand new compiler version, but it should work.

There is an Intel Fortran bug that was discovered by SIMULIA Support Team recently when the user reported error trying to link ABAQUS to Fortran from the new Intel OneAPI HPC Toolkit.

Workaround and Justification:

Cannot run user subroutines because of fortran compilers from Intel OneAPI HPC Toolkit.

The support team asked the user to run:

abaqus verify –user_std –verbose –retainFiles –log

He did, and, they showed that his compilation and link were successful, but in the .msg file the user gets: ***ERROR: USER SUBROUTINE DISP IS MISSING

Support Team's analysis indicates that Intel Fortran 2021 is ignoring the /iface:cref command line option.

They ran dumpbin /symbols on the object file, and it showed that the DISP subroutine symbol in uppercase. The /iface:cref options is supposed to create lowercase symbol names.

This may be a new Intel Fortran 2021 bug.

As a workaround support team asked the user to try this:

1. Fetch the std_user model: abq2019 -j std_user fetch
  2. Edit the std_user.for subroutine and add the following line at the top: !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES ALIAS:"disp"::DISP
  3. Run the job manually: abq2019 -j std_user -user std_user.for -int -verbose 2

This seemed to have solved the problem.

This means adding the line " !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES ALIAS:"user"::USER" at the start of every user defined subroutine (for both standard and explicit).

So, for instance, it would be " !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES ALIAS:"vumat"::VUMAT", for a VUMAT subroutine.

Or download and install Intel Fortran 2019 or earlier.

SIMULIA R&D was going to report the compiler bug with Intel.

It's not a pretty workaround.

I’ll let you know if I get updated information.

"

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor I

Unfortunately Abaqus is not available for students as a download until at least February. 

I am now teaching a grad structures class - so I will get them to use it with Fortran when I can get a download and see if we can solve this blasted problem as I am sick of reading about it. 

This is the problem with very large software co's - unresponsive - this is why the Steve's of the world are so important.  Back channel is always more important than front channel 

JMN

Greg_T_
New Contributor III

If it helps for teaching finite element analysis, another FEA solver besides Abaqus that I use is "Warp3D" developed at the University of Illinois.  Warp3D is open source (no license) and both the executable (Windows and Linux) and Fortran source code are available for download from:

http://www.warp3d.net/

Warp3D is a command line FEA solver, so you'll need a way to create the mesh and post process.  The web page and user's manual gives some options for that too.  Creating a small mesh manually wouldn't be too much work, and good be a good introduction to the topic.

Regards,
Greg T.

Kamalendu
New Contributor I

@JohnNichols For Teaching FEA you may try FEniCS. https://fenicsproject.org/tutorial/

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor I

There are a couple of good FEA solvers in Fortran. Strand7 is not bad, but it costs, but it has been a while since they updated it. 

The problem with FEM frontends is they are equivalent to hand drawing -- it is much better if you can write a FEM model creator that works from the absolute minimum information to define a structure in a simple text file.  You can then generate a model for the main program.  I have a simple program that will generate a mesh for a large bridge using the following text file. The input file for the FEM program in proper form is 2.27 million lines - 229 MB and takes 250 seconds to generate.   

Perry Creek Conduit
**DR
**TH
**NX
**DX
**NY
**DY
**NZ
**DZ
**GT
**SP
**CO
**SY
**PI
**PX
**PZ
**PY
**BE
**BR
**BS
**BY
**BO
**BT
**SL
**CL
1 1 1
2 1 131
3 60 1
4 60 131
5 1 65
6 60 65
**WC
**WL
1 1 3 1 
2 2 4 1
**RF
**RC

Ivo
Beginner

Hi, I am trying the combination oneAPI & Visual Studio 2019 for Abaqus2018. If I run a test with "abaqus verify -user_std" I get this error: LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'user32.lib'

I've attached an image of the command window and of the log file.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks

Kamalendu
New Contributor I

@Ivo 

From what I can think of, it is due to the version of VS. Check below.

Capture.JPG

Also, do follow the latest conversations here: 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Registration-Download-Licensing/How-to-link-ABAQUS-with-Intel-One-API...

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

user32.lib is part of the Windows SDK, which is installed as part of Microsoft Visual C++ but is not itself an MSVC library. The path to the Windows SDK should have been added to the LIB environment variable by the compiler's setvars.bat. An example of the path that should be there is C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Lib\10.0.18362.0\um\x64 (This is the 64-bit path for the specific version of the SDK I have installed, yours may be different.)

Ivo
Beginner

@Steve_Lionel, thank you that helped. I am now able to user routines, such us DLOAD, DFLUX etc. However I ran into another problem when trying to use an additional subroutine/module (interpolation of values on mesh) that used to work with Parallel Studio. Since it used to work the module itself should be ok. The analysis stops and gives me the error:

Abaqus Error: The executable standard.exe aborted with system error code 1073741511.

@Kamalendu suggested that might have to do with the version of VS. I use VS 2017 with Abaqus 2018, the module worked with older versions, so I don't think that is the issue.

Kamalendu
New Contributor I

@Steve_Lionel Yes, of course! I don't know why I said that. you're right. Thanks!

@Ivo Check my earlier comment. 

Kamalendu
New Contributor I