Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Fortran Compiler upgrade

Bruce_Wiland
Beginner

I have been obliviously using Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 SPI under Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 without any problems and no real need to upgrade. It even runs fine under Window 11. However, some recent issues with other old software made me realize that maybe I should upgrade before something bad happens. It had been so long since I was on the Forum that I had to create a new Intel account.

In looking at the Intel website, I find that a lot of changes have occurred since I last purchased the compiler, and I am somewhat confused. It appears that it is now free if I am reading correctly, but I need to figure out exactly what I need to upgrade to. Does the compiler still use Visual Studio? I am guessing that whatever new Intel Fortran Compiler I install will not run under Visual Studio 2008. I want to upgrade with as minimal disruption and learning of new software interfaces as possible. I have several questions. Please direct me elsewhere if there is a different place I should ask.

Questions:

Can anyone tell me what version of the Compiler and Visual Studio I should upgrade to?

Should it be able to compile all of the current source files including the QuickWin dialogs without a lot of errors?

Will my current solution files migrate seamlessly (I'm guessing this is a Visual Studio issue)?

Can the new version coexist on the same computer with my current Visual Studio 2008/Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1 installation?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Thank you, Bruce Wiland

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes, Visual Studio is still used. I recommend VS2019, though you can use VS2022 if you are willing to put up with some annoyances. I was going to link to two very useful articles on how to configure Visual Studio for Intel compilers, but Intel removed them - aaargh! You need the "C++ for Desktop Applications" features, which are not default when you install VS.

Yes, your current project should build fine. Yes, it can coexist with your existing install.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel
Bruce_Wiland
Beginner

Steve,

I am really confused about Visual Studio and feel really stupid.  I'm not exactly sure what the exact title of the software is. Would it be "Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 Professional" and I would need to install the "C++ for Desktop Applications" feature when I installed it or is there a special version of the software called "Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 C++ for Desktop Applications."  It's not easy to find VS2019. I found several sites where I could purchase a product key for Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 with prices ranging from $29 to $550. I have no idea what it should cost (I'm a little leary of $29) or where to download the software in order to activate it. I could not find VS2019 on the Microsoft site but did find a standalone version of VS2022 Professional for $499. I do not need or want a subscription; I want a one-time purchase. I also found something called Visual Studio Community 2022 on the Microsoft site which is free. Will the current Intel Fortran Compiler run under this free version of Visual Studio?

I would like to take your suggestion of using Visual Studio 2019 if I could find it somewhere.  I don't need the annoyances that you allude to. Do you have a suggestion of where I could go to purchase it and in what price range it should cost?

I assume the newest Intel Fortran Compiler will not run under my older Visual Studio 2008. Is this correct?

Again, thanks, Bruce Wiland

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

VS Community is the full VS product, yes it does work with Ifort! The free licencing has been available a long time for all but "larger enterprises" but I am not sure if there are download links for anything other than the current version. The C++ is just a sub-component of which there are many built into the installer, you need that to be installed as Steve said. The VS link I posted in an earlier response.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/community/   

VS community is free for many users.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Strange - the link I tried yesterday just redirected to a generic Intel developer page, but it works today.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

ο θεός λειτουργεί με μυστηριώδεις τρόπους

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Multi-app kiosk mode is a lockdown feature for Windows 11 that allows an IT administrator to select a set of allowable apps to run on the device, while all other functionalities are blocked. This enables you to create multiple different apps and access configurations for different user types, all on a single device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking at VS Studio notes about Fortran and C#  and I found this little gem about the latest Windows.  

IT rules the world.  

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

It was a lot easier when Intel was able to bundle VS with the compiler. 

If you are open to a new IDE, you may wish to consider Visual Studio Code with the Modern Fortran extension to support Fortran.  It's a very good alternative, and runs on all 3 major OSes.  In this scenario, you install VS Code.  Then using the Microsoft VS Code Marketplace you add the Modern Fortran extnesion.  Some links:

Fortran Discourse Announcement

Download for VS Code

Microsoft VS Code Marketplace for Modern Fortran

The github site for Modern Fortran

but you may want to stick with Visual Studio.  Especially if you have existing projects.  However ...

Not sure how well your old vsproj files from 2008 will import into VS2019 0r 2020, if at all.  

0 Kudos