Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Fortran compiler bug

NCarlson
New Contributor I

With -C checking turned on I am getting a spurious shape mismatch runtime error for an absent optional argument.  Here a reproducer:

program main
  real :: a(2)
  a = [1,2]
  if (foo(a) /= 2) stop 1
contains
  real function foo(x, m)
    real, intent(in) :: x(:)
    logical, intent(in), optional :: m(:)
    foo = maxval(x, m)
  end function
end program

When compiled like this:

ifort -C -standard-semantics -traceback foo.f90

I get this when I run:

$ ./a.out
forrtl: severe (408): fort: (33): Shape mismatch: The extent of dimension 1 of array X is 2 and the corresponding extent of array M is 0

Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source             
a.out              00000000004064DF  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
a.out              000000000040391C  MAIN__                      4  foo.f90
a.out              0000000000403862  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
libc-2.32.so       00007F7C899081E2  __libc_start_main     Unknown  Unknown
a.out              000000000040376E  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

This seems to effect just the intrinsic minval, maxval, minloc, and maxloc (and perhaps others).

It is curious that there is no runtime error if the array A is of type integer instead of real.  And without -C the executable runs without error (and gets the correct result).

0 Kudos
16 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II
if ( present(m) )then
  foo = maxval(x, m)
else
  foo = maxval(x)
endif

Not pretty but surely you need something like the above. The optional maxval arg cannot be a not present optional dummy arg. It is also not that surprising  that the compiler does not complain and you get a run time error.  In many cases it would not be possible to for the compiler to easily unpick the logic to know if there was a possible problem

0 Kudos
NCarlson
New Contributor I

@andrew_4619 wrote:

The optional maxval arg cannot be a not present optional dummy arg.

Can you point to where the standard says this?  I was suspicious this might be the case, but I've looked and I can't find this restriction.  15.5.2.12 seems to be the relevant section and it isn't listed there, nor with the description of maxval itself. FWIW, both the NAG compiler and gfortran handle the presence and non-presence of the optional mask dummy argument in this usage pattern without error, and compute the expected result.  So too does the Intel compiler if the "-C" option isn't used. If maxval were my own function and not an intrinsic, then this usage pattern is definitely valid.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I reviewed the standard's text about "argument presence" (15.5.2.1.12) and see nothing to suggest that MAXVAL should not support a not-present optional argument.  It takes a bit of extra run-time code to handle this, but not much.

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I can see it would be desirable for an intrinsic to ignore this in this example. However, looking at it the other way around there may be an absence of a prohibition but does the standard prescribe the behaviour or is it undefined? I have always assumed that it was down to me to sort out the presence or not of optional args. 

0 Kudos
NCarlson
New Contributor I

After the long list of restrictions on "argument presence" in 15.5.2.12, p4 states "Except as noted in the list above, it may be supplied as an actual argument corresponding to an optional dummy argument, which is then also considered not to be present." So my understanding is that the behavior I expected is prescribed, and not undefined.

mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Passing non-present optional arguments as actual arguments seems to be rather complex and the cause of confusion in usage as well as likely to expose compiler bugs. We can see such problems in a seven-year old thread in this forum.

I do appreciate that lots of IF (PRESENT(opt_arg)) THEN ... ELSE ... ENDIF blocks would be required if this were not allowed, but sometimes it is not clear which option is worse.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Are we in the middle of a competition as to who can come up with the most and or the worse compiler errors?  

This one takes the case for the most interesting.  

My friends say my definition of interesting is not normal.  

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@JohnNichols says "My friends say my definition of interesting is not normal. "

“The only glory most of us have to hope for is the glory of being normal.”

Katherine Fullerton Gerould

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

That was an in interesting old thread! I have just always assumed when using optional args that if present(arg) is not true then it is no touch, end of thinking. That seems a safe assumption with all these edges cases that may or may not be legal or defined.    I must admit to never having cascades of present() checks because a frequent usage case for me is adding an extra arg to an existing routine without breaking (or having to look at) existing usage. If present I set a local variable to the value of the arg else I set the local var to a  default value that does not effect the previous uses of the routine.   A little bit of thinking at the design  stage finds ways to work around these things without too much effort. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The standard explicitly specifies the behavior.

Screenshot 2022-02-12 164309.png

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Well in that case the OP's original post represents a compiler bug does is not?

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

For whatever it's worth, I think the code in the original post conforms and Intel Fortran would do well to support it also under the circumstances mentioned i.e., with the check conditions in effect during run-time with -check (or -C) compiler option.

As illustrated in the posts by @Steve_Lionel , the standard supports the case of an optional dummy argument to be an actual argument in calls to both intrinsic and nonintrinsic procedures where it will be considered absent if not present in the caller.

And the standard spikes out the situations with a few intrinsics such as COUNT, LBOUND, UBOUND (and its coarray variants) where with DIM optional argument, the above facility doesn't make sense and thus it states in the rules for each of these intrinsics, "The corresponding actual argument shall not be an optional dummy argument, a disassociated pointer, or an unallocated allocatable."

@NCarlson , you may want to submit a request at Intel OSC if you have support subscription, or wait for an Intel team member to pick up the incident from here.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

This Intel Fortran team member picked this up and filed a bug report, CMPLRIL0-34602. I'll let you know when it's fixed.

FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Thanks much @Barbara_P_Intel for picking this up.

For whatever it's worth, please try the case in the original post (say in file p.f90) with the *UX equivalent of Windows:

"ifort /check:all /check:noshape p.f90"

The point being something you and the Intel Fortran team may be well aware that it is the check:shape option that may be at the root of it here also.  /check:shape was a very nice thought for the users of Intel Fortran but it appears to require a thorough review and overhaul of the implementation from what I can "tell" from a distance.

This brings memories: with a team I had worked with a while ago, they had preferred to employ the -check:all option during a certain debugging phase, however -check:shape had posed way too many problems than it had helped with what was otherwise good, conforming code.  I had suggested -check:noshape to the team as a companion compiler option to be considered with such problematic cases - they had accepted that and followed it.  (That the team has since moved away from Fortran unfortunately is another sad story).

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

@FortranFan Right after I looked up what -C did :-D, I logged the bug with these compiler options.

ifort -what -O0 -no-ip -check shape -traceback foo.f90

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

This issue caused with compiling with -C is fixed in the latest compiler release 2021.7.0. It's available today as part of oneAPI HPC Toolkit.

Please give it a try.

0 Kudos