Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Fortran source files not opened when VS2022 is restarted

AONym
New Contributor II

VS2022 is set to reopen documents that were open when it was last closed. VS2019 did this correctly, but VS2022 gets an error for each Fortran (.f90) file that was open. It does not get errors for C++ (.cpp, .h) files.

To reproduce:

1) Open a solution containing .f90 source files.

2) Open one .f90 file.

3) Close VS2022 by clicking X at upper right.

4) Open VS2022.

This brings up a blank document with a tab <file>.f90, and the message

An error occurred in '<project>' while attempting to open '<file>.f90'. ... Error code: 0x80004005.

7 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

The forum has been talking about opening fortran files in VS 2022 for a while.  

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

@AONym thanks a lot for this report. We are working on improving VS2022 IDE integration, which is on limited support. I can reproduce the error.

I escalated this issue to engineering. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It still occurs with the latest VS2022 and the latest compiler.

DKoehler
Beginner

Well here we are 6 months later and this problem persists.  I've delt with this since first installing VS 2022.  It really feels like a MS problem since, while it happens within a Fortran VS solution, the file type doesn't seem to matter.  It can be Fortran source or just a text file.  And it happens when opening the solution - nothing more.  Closing the solution (from the File menu) and then re-opening it avoids the error upon reopening but opens no files, so you've lost your starting point.

I've stuck with the LTS version of VS (as suggested elsewhere) to try to avoid the Intel/MS integration roller coaster but that didn't sidestep this problem.  Well for what it's worth, consider this a bump so folks don't think the problem is solved.

Running OneAPI Base and HPC 2022.2 and VS LTSC v17.0.13

Best,

DK

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

The fix is included in the upcoming oneAPI 2022.3 release.

Saleheen
Beginner

Is the problem likely related to Visual Studio or oneAPI? I'm using VS 2022 17.7.6 with oneAPI 2022.1.0.256 and I'm still facing the same issue.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Well I used to have that problem but it was fixed some time back. I think it is  a oneAPI integrations problem. I have VS2022 17.0.5 and oneAPI 2023.2 so older VS newer oneAPI I would suggest updating the latter.  In general I try to minimise VS updates and do that infrequently as it often causes grief as the Intel team is always playing catchup with VS changes.