Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26758 Discussions

GDB & (ifort) Fortran Modules: how does one examine interger and logical variables?

Fawley__William
Beginner

I recently installed gdb ( and ifort ( Version 19.0 Build 20190416 ) and have been debugging a large  code that has a lot of Fortran modules. In a sample module named "laser_mod", I am able to examine real variables, e.g.,

(gdb) print laser_mod::omg0
$7 = 0.025125017310528065

However, if I attempt to examine an (truly variable) integer or logical variable, I get the following:

(gdb) print laser_mod::iseed
No symbol "laser_mod::iseed" in current context.

(gdb) print laser_mod::l_mult_pol_emit
No symbol "laser_mod::l_mult_pol_emit" in current context.

If i run nm on the executable, I find reals seem to be "data" whereas integers and logicals has type "S" which according to the man page for "nm" is a symbol not contained in other sections such as data or text or absolute, etc.  (i.e., a "beats me" location ...)

macmini-4265[522]>nm xgingerh | grep omg0
000000010055f750 D _laser_mod_mp_omg0_

macmini-4265[523]>nm xgingerh | grep iseed
00000001006fccf0 S _laser_mod_mp_iseed_

macmini-4265[524]>nm xgingerh | grep l_mult_pol_emit
00000001006fcde8 S _laser_mod_mp_l_mult_pol_emit_

So, given the gdb manual does not seem to give any obvious information on what to do, I am hoping wise F95&gdb pundits out there can advise me as to how to get at module integer and logical variables from gdb.  In seaching this and other forums, I did not see any relevant posts on this topic in the last few years.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
0 Replies