Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26757 Discussions

Generating Fortran code within Visual Studio 2019

David_Billinghurst
New Contributor II

What Fortran code generation tools work well with Visual Studio 2019?

We develop an technical application with a C# front end and a Fortran DLL for number crunching within Visual Studio (2013 but 2019 real soon now).  One part of the code we want to improve has a lot of boiler-plate code - essentially a map/reduce over a hierarchy of derived types, but with a small number of different reduce operations (max, min, sum, weighted average, etc) for the components.  Much of the code could be generated automatically from templates.

Now I come from a unix background.  In the past I would have used make and awk, cpp, m4 or python to do this.  I am now working in a Visual Studio environment with C# programmers and they have expressed a STRONG preference for a solution within Visual Studio.

The Intel Fortran pre-proccessor may do the job.  Are there any alternatives?  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor II

if you do a search on C# in this forum  you will find a note on connecting C# to Fortran -- it is not nice and it is not easy takes several hours to do it. And the results are less than brilliant, I code in both languages, not because I want to -- I don't but the main sensor we use has only C# drivers and we cannot communicate with Fortran - but if you are doing anything computational then Fortran is better -- at least twice as fast. 

Good luck -- sorry I could not find the old program where I got it running - you could try doing it as a check program - run the Fortran program in the background and let the C# flag when it wants something done, this will be better as you should run in different threads -- which is always faster, I would just use a file to transfer the data, even a lot of data transferred through a file if you multithread will be faster than any single thread for most applications. 

Good luck.. 

jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

Look at the C# to C/C++ interfacing information. C# uses managed code with structured exception handling. Whereas Fortran uses unmanaged code without structured exception handling. So your C# has to call unmanaged code, either directly to Fortran or to a shell function written in C/C++ which then calls the unmanaged Fortran code. The argument passing must be compatible. IOW no C# container (e.g. string, C# array descriptor, ...).

Additionally, be aware that the typical C# multi-threaded programming paradigm is:

Spawn new thread, do work, join/terminate thread

resulting in each "do work" having separate thread ID (which may get reused after some long period).

This will not be a problem calling Fortran (or C/C++) *** provided that the Fortran (or C/C++) is serial (thread-safe) code.
If (when) your Fortran (or C/C++) is OpenMP parallel code, this will be problematic due to each C# thread (with different thread ID) calling the Fortran (or C/C++) OpenMP code will instantiate a new OpenMP thread pool. This will look like a memory leak at least, oversubscription as an annoyance, and out of memory/resources eventually at worst.

The work around (when the Fortran/C/C++ portion uses OpenMP) is to assure that the same C# thread (ID) makes all the calls to said code.

Jim Dempsey