Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28454 Discussions

Getting started with visual fortran and visual studio 2008

tedsmith
Beginner

Hello
I am starting using Intel Visual Fortran with VS2008, and have a large fortran program (F77) which I want to import into VS2008. VS provides a wizard, but this does not mention Fortran. By the way, would VS2005 express edition (which is free) be OK to use?
Thanks
Ted
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ted,

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, the Visual Studio "Create project from existing sources" wizard does not support Fortran. But it's so easy to do anyway.

On the Start page, select Create Project...
Under Intel Fortran, select Console Application and then Empty Project. Give a name for your project and then finish the Wizard.
Once the project opens, right click on the project (will have a blue icon with white F), select Add to project > Files. Select your source files and click OK. (If you want to copy the sources into the project folder, do that first).

You're done. Now you can build the project.

One caveat - make sure you are using compiler version 10.1.019 or later for use with VS2008.

Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition cannot be used. However, the product includes Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition, so no additional purchase is necessary.
0 Kudos
Rob4
Beginner

Hello,

I've just moved from VS 2005 to VS 2008, completely reinstalled IVF v10.1.021 (more than once!), but still can't see any Fortran integration in the VS 2008 IDE. I checked the Integration in Add/Remove programs and both integration for VS 2005 and VS 2008 are activated. Any help in getting VS 2008 with Fortran integrating working would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Please contact Intel Premier Support for help with this - we've seen this happen on some systems, usually due to permissions problems in the registry.
0 Kudos