Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

How do I backtrack to a previous Fortran version?

WSinc
New Contributor I
I did go ahead and order the newest Fortran 12 XE, but until it is processed,
can I go back to a previous version? How do I do that and integrate it into VS 2008?

Then when the order is processed, I can go ahead and download it, and install it into VS 2008.
I ordered it from ISP on-line.

I apologize for the mixup - I didn't realize the support package had expired.
As far as I can tell, no notification of that was ever sent.

Thanks; Bill S.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Yes, an old license should still be valid for downloading compilers issued before the expiration date. If that version is recent enough to support VS2008, installation should be routine. The web site: https://registrationcenter.intel.com
0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I
Well, the older compiler is still present, but
how do I get my project to compile with that instead of the newer one?

I have Fortran 11.0.0.74 sitting in the directory, and the license to go with it.
I was using it last year before the support license expired.

I played around with "project properties," but did not see where I could make a choice of which compiler
to use.

Can you please refer me to an article about this subject?

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II
Try the menu command Tools > Options, then select the category (left pane) Intel Visual Fortran > Compilers and have a look at the compiler selection options there.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you mean that you installed a new Visual Studio and want the old compiler installation to use it, if you still have the installer files in the download directory, you should be able to repair, or, if necessary, uninstall and reinstall. 11.0 installation will not work on Windows 7; you would need to see if you can download a recent enough version. I don't remember which was the first ifort which could work with VS2008 before win7.
0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I
Well, the issue is how can I integrate the older Fortran with VS 2008 in place of the newest one (12 XE).
It is not just an issue with installing the compiler. That was already done somtime ago.

In other words, is there a step which tells VS 2008 to use Fortran 11.1 rather than Fortran 12.0?

Both compilers co-exist on my computer currently, and both are compatible with Windows XP.

But I would like to use the older compiler, at least temporarily, until I can get the licenses for 12.0.

BTW - I cannot install a newer version of VS until it has the Fortran integration. If I use it now,
I would not be able to compile any of my projects.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
See Ian's response earlier. When you install Composer XE 2011, you can use that version, 11.1 or 11.0 from the IDE. You select this from the Tools > Options > Intel Fortran > Compilers dialog. This is a "global" setting for that version of Visual Studio until you change it. Note that you can have different settings for the 32-bit and 64-bit development - make sure you select the platform first before changing the compiler to use.
0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I
Hi Steve et al -

I was finally able to find that, but it is pretty tricky.

You have to EXPAND the options, otherwise you only get
5 cateogories, whichwill not include the compiler choices.

Anyway, it looks like it works.

Thanks ! ! !
0 Kudos
wen
Beginner
Can I install a updated version without removing the old or existing version? In earlier time, I was kept on told to remove the existing version before installing the update.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You can install a higher numbered version without removing the older one. Only the latest version's Visual Studio integration will be there, but as I noted above you have access to the previous two compiler versions from that.

Starting with version 12 (Composer XE 2011), you have the option of having updates replace the existing version or installing "side by side". You are offered the choice the first time you install an update - after that, it uses the choice you selected. (To change your mind, uninstall all updates and then reinstall.)
0 Kudos