Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28477 Discussions

How to convert an O file to fortran source file

Vahid_E_
Beginner

Hi all,

I have received from somebody else a Fortran object file (created under Linux). Can I convert it back to the source file? (I have Windows 7)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

No you need the original source file (.for / .f90) , the o file is the compiled binary code.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

A tool that does this is called a "decompiler". As far as I know, in practical terms, especially if the object file was produced by an optimizing compiler or the -g compiler was not used, there is no such tool.

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

The best you might hope to achieve is to convert it to assembly code and as that is rather platform-dependent, you would have to figure out from that code what is really going on. It would be much easier to reprogram the thing if you know what it is meant to do.

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

No you can not

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

An alternative question might be can you convert the Fortran Linux built .o file into a compatible Fortran Windows build .obj file. It might be possible to do this, but you may need to add helper functions if the calling conventions differ. Other than that, it is reverse engineering from the assembly code.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos