Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28543 Discussions

How to get Intel 8.x compiler (needed for legacy Fortran code)

christoph_s_1
Beginner

Hello!

I need the old Intel compiler for some old Fortran code that no longer works with the newer compilers. Intel 8.x compiler is explicitly recommended for the code I am trying to compile.

How do I get the Intel 8.x compiler? As a student, I have access to the Intel Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition for Linux. Under "Additional downloads, latet updates and prior versions", I can also download older versions of this, going back to 2013. But I don't find any option on the website on how to download just an older compiler.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Student licenses don't go that far back. Version 8.0 is from 2004 and was VERY buggy - I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone. Show us the problems you're having with the current version and we'll be glad to help. I can't think of any reason why an old compiler would be needed. It may simply be that the source you're using has errors that are detected by newer versions.

0 Kudos
christoph_s_1
Beginner

Steve Lionel (Intel) wrote:

Student licenses don't go that far back. Version 8.0 is from 2004 and was VERY buggy - I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone. Show us the problems you're having with the current version and we'll be glad to help. I can't think of any reason why an old compiler would be needed. It may simply be that the source you're using has errors that are detected by newer versions.

Thank you for your reply.

As it turns out, I was able to compile the program with the latest compilers. The previous fault was, in truth, with MPICH which I hadn't properly linked to the Intel compilers.

0 Kudos