Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

I'm having problems in getting my compaq visual fortran 6 to run properly on windows 7 32bit. Is there something I can do to get it to work?

email1910
Beginner

hi,
i install compaq visual fortran 6 on win 7 32bit. but when i run it, a massage box shows that "Microsoft Developer Studio has stopped working, windows is checking for a solution to the problem..." and then another massage shows that"Microsoft Developer Studio has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". Iclick on "Close program" button and the program is closed.
Ialso install xp mode on win 7. compaq visual fortran is ran properly in xp modebut it is too slow and because my program in fortran has more than 7000 steps, i can not work with compaq in xp mode.
I would greatly appreciate you if you can help me to find a solution.
best regards
email1910

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
Compaq Visual Fortan is about 10 years old, is unsupported and is notcompatible with Win 7.

I suggest that it is time to upgrade to the latest Intel compiler.

David
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
The compiler itself and many of the command line tools work fine. It is the Visualstudio and the GUI debugger that do not work outside of XP mode. You have to decide for yourself if this is good enough, or should you upgrade to a more recent compiler package.
0 Kudos
netphilou31
New Contributor II
Hi,

May be you can find some information in post:

Best regards
0 Kudos
tropfen
New Contributor I
look if you have given the xp mode enough avialable RAM.

Or try a different virtualisation like VMware player.

All virtualisations reduces the usable CPU part. (quite often there is a reduction of more then 50%)

Frank
0 Kudos
chstoyer
Beginner
I had the same problem and decided to upgrade to the v 12 Intel. There are several differences, some I like, some not. The code does run faster, especially on Intel processors.

Good to know that XP mode is slow. I have not upgraded to that yet, maybe I won't.

Charles
0 Kudos
manoj_singh1085
Beginner

hi,
i install visual fortran 6 on win 7 32bit. but when i run it, a massage box shows that "Microsoft Developer Studio has stopped working. When i change the compatibily to Xp3 mode its not working.

0 Kudos
onkelhotte
New Contributor II
Due to support reasons we still we to use the CVF 6.6c and even the 6.1a compiler as well (we have to create license files as a DLL and they have to be compiled with the same version as the main program was compiled). Same problem when starting the CVF Developer Studio.

But I can start and use the Microsoft C++ Developer Studio without any problems. CVF projects can be compiled, debugged* and started (both console and QuickWin applications).

Markus

*there are a few issues with the debugger when it doesnt close the application window, so you have to close and start the Developer Studio again.
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
Have you tried setting up an XP virtual PC on your Win 7 machine? This is provided as part of Win7. Itis different to running in compatibility mode. It worked for me when my accounting software would not run under Win7 even in compatiblity mode. You would need to provide enough swap space for the virtual machine, and would then install CVF while connected tothe virtual machine .

Regards,

David
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
XPM compatibility is the only way I've seen to run CVF on Win7, but it seems to perform poorly. The "run on startup" on the DVD requires 16-bit support, so you may have to browse down to the real 32-bit setup installer. Not all BIOS installations support XPM. This reminds me, I didn't attempt XPM again on the family Dell for which I recently got a BIOS upgrade.
0 Kudos
Ademiloye_A_
Beginner

netphilou31 wrote:
Hi,

May be you can find some information in post:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=81142

Best regards

Very helpful link... Thanks

0 Kudos