Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28487 Discussions

IDBC has GDB machine interface support ?

senji
Beginner

Hi,

i'd like to use the IDBC in GDB mode with the IDE Codelite. Codelite use the Machine Interface of GDB.

Is there a way to enable the Machine Interface in IDBC ?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan

0 Kudos
9 Replies
senji
Beginner
Nobody here who can help me ?
Is it maybe the wrong forum ?
0 Kudos
Ron_Green
Quoting - senji
Nobody here who can help me ?
Is it maybe the wrong forum ?

IDB is not my specialty. Let me find someone who can answer this.

ron
0 Kudos
Thomas_Z_Intel
Employee
Hi Stefan,
for this you should be able to invoke idb with the "-i" qualifier and "mi" as the specified interpeter, just like gdb.

idbc -i mi hello_world

Note that for MI mode we use the prompt "gdb" to be compatible with programs which expect gdb.

Regards, Thomas
0 Kudos
senji
Beginner
I found the following post where Susan Macchia from Intel mentioned that in 9.1 the Machine Interface was implemented. http://markmail.org/message/zwfxyzsrg6r3veob
Susan Macchia was the head of the gdb Machine Interface working group. I i tried to contact her but the email adress doesn't exist any longer.
It would be great if you could ask for someone who could help me !
To explain my problem in detail:
I start the idbc with the parameter "-gdb" and it starts debugging, but whenever the Codelite IDE is sending a "break-insert" for example, idbc doesn't seem to recognize it. The debugger never stop at the breakpoint. I suppose that it "listening to the Machine Interface" should be enabled somehow. But how ?
0 Kudos
senji
Beginner
Hi Thomas,
i'll give it a try. Thanks for your quick help !!
0 Kudos
Thomas_Z_Intel
Employee
Hi Stefan,
I checked back with engineering and my initial reply may be not the full truth: I don't know which version ofIDB you are using, but since you're referring to Susan's post from 2006 I must add thatIDB has changed quite drastically since then. The current (Linux) version ofIDB comes with its own RCP-based GUI and MI is only used for communciating with the Eclipse CDT plugin. So the current MI implementation in IDB may not be sucfficient for your intended use with Codelite.
If you want to give it a try, I'd be very interested to hear your comments on the features and usability of the new GUIof IDB. See http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/idb-linux/ for a more detailed description.
Tsch, Thomas
0 Kudos
ic3m4n2005
Beginner
Hi,

currently i'm working together with Stefan on this subject. The problem is still not solved, but we ahve made some progress.
In idb mode we can read a *.so file with the "readsharedobj" command, so we can add a breakpoint in the specific source file before running the program.
Apparently we need machine interface and it seems not to be working with idb mode at all.
So we have tried to to do it with gdb mode with machine interface.
Loading the program file works, but adding a shared object like we did with readsahredobj command seems to be the problem.
We have tried with this command "-file-symbol-file file" but it doesn't accept the .so file.

So the question after all is, how can the shared object be loaded before starting the binary file ? I hope everything is made clear, if not feel free to ask :)

Thanks in advance,
Andre
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - ic3m4n2005

So the question after all is, how can the shared object be loaded before starting the binary file ?
If it is relevant, did you consider LD_PRELOAD?
0 Kudos
smacchia
Beginner

I just noticed this post - I (Susan Macchia) left Intel in 2006. I was head of the IDB debug team and spear headed the MI working group. IDB did have a machine interface so you could use it, but it may not be full featured. It supported both MI1 and MI2 I believe. It was used to integrate with the Eclipse CDT.

And since my leaving I believe IDB now has a full GUI. The email on the DMI working group went out of use for a while, but I now have it back and use if for software engineering related things. FYI.

0 Kudos