Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28463 Discussions

IFORT/IFX Initial Fortran 2023 Features

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

The new release has mention of Initial Fortran 2023 Features in the release notes so on some further digging....

More What's New
Intel Fortran Compiler (ifx) is the default Fortran compiler when using Microsoft* Visual Studio on Windows.
ifx 2024.0.0 and ifort 2021.11.0
Initial Fortran 2023 Features
The REDUCE locality spec on DO CONCURRENT
BOZ constants on RHS of INTEGER and REAL assignment statements
BOZ constants as INTEGER and REAL values in PARAMETER statements
BOZ constants as INTEGER or REAL as array constructor values
BOZ constants as INTEGER values in ENUMERATION statements
Intrinsic trigonometric functions returning degrees ACOSD(X), ASIND(X), ATAND(X), ATAN2D(Y, X), COSD(X), SIND(X), and TAND(X)

Small steps but quite confusing  as some if not all of the BOZ and xxxD trig already existed as Intel language extensions (and still are noted that way in the language reference) but you would get a standards *warning* if you had that option.  Of course there is no new f2023 standards checking so you still get a warning with f2018.

Still moving forward  and 2 days after the standard was finally published!!!!!!

1 Solution
Ron_Green

@andrew_4619 thanks for noticing, and for reading Barbara's Release Notes!  Sometimes we wonder if anyone actually reads them.  Yes, F2023 features are on our to-do list.  But job #1 is bug fixes in ifx and making sure it is solid and performant.  Job #2, the development team will be adding F23 features with each update.  And somewhere in there we have to add OpenMP 5.2 and 6.0 features.   Never a dull moment.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Ron_Green

@andrew_4619 thanks for noticing, and for reading Barbara's Release Notes!  Sometimes we wonder if anyone actually reads them.  Yes, F2023 features are on our to-do list.  But job #1 is bug fixes in ifx and making sure it is solid and performant.  Job #2, the development team will be adding F23 features with each update.  And somewhere in there we have to add OpenMP 5.2 and 6.0 features.   Never a dull moment.

DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

@Ron_Green  I do not regularly check the Intel blog posts. But they always pop up in my daily digests on various HPC/Fortran topics. So yes, two confirmed blog readers are in this forum post alone. I have several source files that still result in ICE with ifx (2023.2.0 release). The files are not open-source. But I will try to reproduce the cases here for bug fixes, hopefully long before the legendary ifort is retired.

Ron_Green

Barbara, Devorah and I are starting to run through our fix lists.  We will start reporting back to posts where bugs were reported but are fixed in 2024.0.

Barbara_P_Intel

@DataScientist, please try ifx 2024.0 to see if your ICEs are fixed before working on reproducers. ifx 2024.0 was released earlier this week. Miracles do happen!