Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

INDEX() function fails to recognise substring '.hds'

David_S_3
Beginner

I am using the INDEX function to test whether a file name includes particular file extensions, e.g. '.exe' of '.lst'

I have discovered that the file extension '.hds' does not appear to be recognised.

i.e. when filein = 'name.hds'

the statement

ipos = index(filein,'hds')

returns a value of 0.

For the case when filein = 'name.exe' or 'name.lst' the function correctly returns a value of 9.  When filein = 'name.xxx' a value of 0 is returned.

Do the substrings 'hds' and 'xxx' have some particular status?  How can this apparent anomaly be corrected?

character string

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

I am not aware of any special status for these strings. Could you post a complete example demonstrating this? As I have never seen anything like that, I suspect there is something else going on. A small program to reproduce the issue will help to unravel the mystery.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Commonly, in such cases the culprit is a non-printable character embedded in the string. For example, if there is such a character between '.h' and 'ds', the actual string is not the same as the printed version or as seen in a screen editor. Therefore, when you post your example code, be sure to provided the actual file as an attachment instead of pasting the code or text in the post itself.

0 Kudos
David_S_3
Beginner

The apparent problem turned out to be the result of a programming error on my part which was revealed in the process of creating a small demonstration program.

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

That is not at all uncommon ;). It happens to everyone.

0 Kudos