Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

IVF 9 - viewing allocatable arrays

tihomir
Beginner
I've just moved from CVF to IVF and I am stumbled by this basic problem. I cannot view an allocatable array during debug, unless I find/open the file where the array was allocated. This is a huge "no go" for me since it takes a long time to locate the exact place of allocation. This was not a problem with CVF and I wonder if there is any compiler option I can use to avoid the problem.

The message that I get in the viewer is: "Cannot view register variable". Thanks a lot for any help.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It sounds to me as if you may be trying to debug an optimized compilation?

Please make sure that you have version 9.0.019 installed. There are some debugger fixes in that version. I'm not aware of any problems viewing allocatable arrays in .019 (just did it today, in fact.)

One issue I am aware of is that if you have a "contained routine", it can't see any module variables inherited from the parent. In such cases, you can enter modulename::variablename in a Watch window.

If you continue to have problems, please submit a report to Intel Premier Support, and include a ZIP of your project.
0 Kudos
tihomir
Beginner
The compiler option that is causing this is /Qopenmp, which makes the parallel code. Are there any additional compiler options we can use to avoid the problem? Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I'm not aware that /QOpenMP causes a problem debugging, though of course you can't easily debug other threads. OpenMP can cause variables to relocated and it's possible the debugger can't deal with it. I suggest you submit an example of the problem to Intel Premier Support and we'll take a look. You might also want to see if the separate Intel Debugger (idb) can debug your program - it is more thread-aware.

It may be a good idea to set the number of threads to 1 while debugging.
0 Kudos
tihomir
Beginner
I tried setting the number of threads to 1 but that didn't resolve the problem. Also the code is single threaded so there aren't any additional threads these can be in. I'll try to make a simple example and will send it to Intel Premier Support. Thanks a lot for your help.
0 Kudos