Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28655 Discussions

IVF Composer XE Update 5 removed Fortran documentation

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
While installing Composer XE update 5 I happened to have the (a)IVF documentation file open (in IE). The installation hung at deleting files. That is when I noticed that I had a IE window with a Fortran doc open. I closed this window and the deleting files... continued through to the Finish. After Finish and going back into VS 2010 then clicking on Help I see a link to Intel Visual Fortran Compiler XE 12.0 Documentation and a html file opens up. There is a box with titles: Document | Description

With "Intel Fortran Compiler XE 12.0 User and Reference Guides" listed but without or with no hyperlink to the guides. Below the box is a hyperlink to "Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 Documentation". Clicking on that gets me to same titled document. In there is link to "Intel Fortran Compiler Documentation". Clicking on that link gets me back to the screen listed in the first paragraph above. (Like trick with rock with instructions: "turn me over" painted on both sides).

If I use VS 2010 | Help | Manage Help Settings

In the Intel sections

Intel Fortran is not listed, Composer XE is and says it is local. Switching between on-line and local does not seem to refresh the list.

It appears that part of the installation thinksIVF documentationis installed (won't re-install) and other parts think not.

Is there an easy way to fix this (besides complete un-install and re-install)?

Jim Dempsey
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
Followed instructions you posted for VS 2008 issue, this seemed to cure the VS2010 on W7 x64 as well.

Jim
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Good to know. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
For reference, the thread Jim refers to is here.
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
Additional info.

I also went to Control Panel | Remove Programs (W7) |... Intel...

Clicked on that to restore broken pieces and (can't remember exactly) cannot find installation program. Or something like that.

I installed the initial IPS XE 2011 from an archive downloaded on one system, copied to the w7 system then run from there. The Fortran documentation installed and was accesible via Help. The recently I installed update 5 noticing the quirk listed in my first post (help open stalling installation). I do not know if this is a red herring or not but it should be easy enough for your installation team to replicate

1) Wipe system
2) Install MS VS 2010
3) Install updates
4) Install Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011
5) test compiling dummy program and running Help
(so as to pass through once only code)
6) Open Fortran Help (get to index not splash screen)
7) Install update 5... wait till hang
8) close IE that has Fortran Help open
9) after install completes run IVF help.

Jim
0 Kudos