Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

IVF10 Download options

davidspurr
Beginner
Possibly it is just me but not for the first time, I do not fully follow the download options.

Four compiler download options appear to be available:

1. IA-32 Product (54.3 MB)
2. IA32/Intel Compiler Product (103 MB)
3. Intel 64 Product (57.3 MB)
4. IA-64 Product (132 MB)

Option 1 downloads a file named "w_fc_p_10.0.025_ia32.exe"

Option 2 downloads a file named "w_fc_p_10.0.025_novsppe.exe"

Options 3 & 4 I understand (are explained in the RN), but the RN do not appear to mention the 2nd option. So - - - for a Win32 system, should I be installing 1 or 2?

According to the RN the DL options for IA32 systems are
# w_fc_p_10.0.xxx.exe (includes everything)
# w_fc_p_10.0.xxx_ia32.exe (excludes VS Premier Partner Ed)

File size (103MB) suggests that Option 2 includes VSPPE, but the file name ends "...novsppe.exe"!!!!

I have downloaded both 1 & 2, but will hold off installing anything till I get some clarification. Would help if the file names & options in the RN tallied with the DL options.

My desktop is an old WinXP Home (!) system (due for replacement, hopefully within a few months) and laptop is a WinXP32 Prof / Core 2 Duo system. Both have Visual C++ .NET 2003* Standard Edition installed.

Supplementary Qns:

I have no particular desire to retain older versions of IVF on my system (other than concerns that any new update may end up causing problems ).

QN 1: Is it best I uninstall my existing Visual Studio Integration?

QN 2: Or, can I leave the existing Visual C++ .NET 2003 Integration and install VS Premier Partner Ed as well?

QN 3: Latter option would allow use of Visual C++ .NET 2003 in the new IDE?

My laptop came with a Windows Vista u/g, but I have held off applying that because I would have to buy VS2005 to run IVF in the IDE - a steep price to pay for an "intermittent" Fortran programmer (also, Vista u/g not applied to ensure compatibility with clients).

QN 4: Since IVF10 includes VS Premier Partner Ed, does the u/g to Vista now make sense (or is it best steered well clear of for the time being)?

Advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
David

ps1. apologies for the long post.
ps2. BTW - inclusion of VS Premier Partner Ed is much appreciated, despite the initial complications.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
David,

I have downloaded and installed both 1. and 2. 2. simply includes options for compiling apps for 64 bit as well as 32 bit architectures. Not an IDE in sight.

Before you look seriously at the VS Premier ed, I am having second thoughts - have asked my supplier to cancel my hold off on my upgrade to PRemier Edition until I can sort our the details. Would be nice if the downloads included the IDE to see what it looks like. Suggest you download and read the release notes -- no cross language compilation, no Dilaog Editor, No third party wizards (I think). If you are doing straight Fortran compiles to console apps, probably OK.

Regards,

David White (Alcoa World Alumina)
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice

I have an IVF Pro (now the old name) license, and I don't see any option to download v10 at the registration center. The message I received announcing a new product directed me to Intel's premier site where there was also an announcement that I could download and install the Math Kernel Library, but I don't see any option to download that product, either.

Mike D.

0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice

I followed the instructions to make the Math Kernel Library show up as an available download. They say to select "My Licenses" at the registration center. My menu options don't include that choice; I chose "My Registrations" instead and had my IVF licensee-mailed to me. That allowed me to see the IVF v10 compiler as a download choice, but still no Math Kernel Library.

Mike D.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I agree that the e-mail message was misleading. Windows Fortran 10 has become the default selection under Visual Fortran on https://registrationcenter.intel.com.
At the moment, we are blocked from reaching registrationcenter, so it will take patience.
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I

It sounds like there may be a couple of things going on here.

One is that the "Whats new message" at Intel Premier Support was refering to "My licenses" and it needed to refer to my registrations for the Intel Visual Fortran for Windows, Professional Edition license. This has been resolved.

Secondlicensed users of the Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows* Standard Edition with licenses or service renewals purchased prior to the version 10.0 product launch are entitled to download an upgrade to their Intel Compiler but are not entitled to the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition* (VSPPE).

To receive the version 10.0 product that includes Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition*, Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Standard Edition for Windows* customers with existing licenses or service renewals purchased prior to the version 10.0 product launch must purchase an upgrade to the new Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional Edition for Windows*. Until you upgrade to the Compiler Professional Edition, the only version of the Fortran Compiler available to you will not include the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition*. Information on upgrading to the Compiler Professional Edition can be found at the following link:

http://www3.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/278834.htm

Third is that VSPPE will not install if a Microsoft Visual Studio is installed on the system.

If you have specific problems of access to the compilers, please file an issue at premier.intel.com including a copy of any emails or links to websites where you do not have access.

Today is launch day and as we iron out any problems this is the best place to get any problems resolved.

Thanks for your patience.

0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I

Here is an update for the Visual Fortran Compiler 9.1, Professional Edition, for Windows*, customers who were trying to re-send their license which accessto downloadIntel Math Kernel Library. There was a registration center problem giving this access this morning which has now been resolved. So please try again. Here are the detailed instructions on how to get the access set up and the license re-sent:

If you do not see Intel Math Kernel Library listed as available to you at the Intel Registration Center, log in to the Intel Registration Center,

https://registrationcenter.intel.com, select My Registrations, locate and select your Intel Visual Fortran Professional Edition license and click "Resend license file to my email address". Download and installation of the Intel Math Kernel Library (MKL) is separate - please refer to the MKL Installation Guide and/or Release Notes for details.
Please be sure you copy the updated .lic file to the following directory path on your system and remove or rename your old .lic license file so the Registration Center only verifies your access capabilities using your upgraded license file:
C:Program FilesCommon FilesIntelLicenses
Then please follow the steps below:
1. Launch a new browser windows, and go to https://registrationcenter.intel.com/
2. Login to the Intel Registration Center using your Intel account and your current password.
3. Click on the "Product Downloads" option.
4. You should see "Intel Math Kernel Library" in your list of available products.
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
Wendy,

I tried downloading the 30-day trial version, but still could not get access to the VSPPE edition. I wanted to try that to confirm which edition I wanted to renew (my renewal is due soon).

Thanks,

David White
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice

I logged in to the registration center again, and this time I do see the Math Kernel Library as a download option. I didn't have to have my license resent to me to do this.

Mike D.

0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
madwadoerne wrote the following post at 06/05/2007 6:26 PM:
"Secondlicensed users of the Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows* Standard Edition with licenses or service renewals purchased prior to the version 10.0 product launch are entitled to download an upgrade to their Intel Compiler but are not entitled to the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition* (VSPPE)."
That explains the DL options I was presented with. BUT ... this is far from evident in either the Installation Guide or the RN. According to the RN currently linked from the DL site (as of 1pm NZ time, 6 June):

"The Standard Edition contains the following components:
  • Intel Fortran Compiler for IA-32 applications
  • Intel Fortran Compiler for Intel 64 architecture applications
  • Intel Fortran Compiler for IA-64 applications
  • Intel Assembler for IA-64 applications
  • Intel Debugger (See separate Release Notes)
  • Utilities
    • Intel Compilers code-coverage tool
    • Intel Compilers test-prioritization tool
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 2005* Premier Partner Edition
  • Integration into Microsoft* visual development environments
  • On-disk documentation"
And a little further down:

"Changes in Version 10.0

The following section discusses new features and changes in the Intel Visual Fortran Compiler version 10.0 and updates to 10.0. Please see the separate release notes for the Intel Debugger, found in the IDB10.0docs folder.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005* Premier Partner Edition Included

As of version 10.0, developers of applications to run on IA-32 or Intel 64-based systems no longer need to separately purchase and install a Microsoft development product. If you do not already have installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2005*, or on IA-32 only, Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003* or Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003*, the Intel Visual Fortran installation will install Microsoft Visual Studio 2005* Premier Partner Edition. This provides the Microsoft visual development environment, including debugger, as well as the tools and libraries needed for development from either the visual development environment or the command line."

These notes apply to the "Intel Visual Fortran Compiler version", not the Professional Edition.

I see NO qualification, either wrt when service renewal was purchased, or that Prefessional Edition is required. Quite the contrary, the above (at least to me) clearly states that VSPPE is part of the standard "Visual Fortran Compiler version".

Further, the Product Description page EXPLICITLY states that "All editions include Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition (except for evaluation and student license types)" (http://www3.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/compilers/fwin/278834.htm). The only additional feature listed for the PE is the Intel Math Kernel Library.

Anyway, to follow up on your post, does "... or service renewals purchased prior to the version 10.0 product launch" mean that as of next service renewal, VSPPE will be included in the package offered with the Standard edition?

Thanks
David

0 Kudos
HKort
Beginner
To whom it may concern,
I looked at the IVF for Windows v10 product description on the Intel web site. The VSPPE should clearly be included in the standard version. Thus having a valid maintenance contract and not being given access to the VSPPE clearly shows that the software maintenance contracts aren't worth much at all. This is clearly NOT the way how you show existing customers your support. This type of corporate behavior is exactly why Lahey lost me as a customer 3 years ago. Maybe it is time to switch again.

Regards,
Haje Korth
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I

David,

I am sorry, the evaluation versiondoes not contain VSPPE only the purchased version. But if you want to find out more about VSPPE, but from the 10.0 documentation, where is our description of the support:

10.0 Integration Support under Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition

As described in this topic, Intel Visual Fortran supports integration into Microsoft Visual Studio* 2005 and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003. If you do not have one of these Microsoft products on your system, the Intel Visual Fortran installation procedure lets you install Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition.

The following features are not available when using Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition:

Resource editor for creating and editing dialogs, icons and version resources

Conversion of projects from Compaq* Visual Fortran

Development of applications to run on IA-64 architecture systems

Microsoft language tools such as Visual C++* and Visual Basic*

Note all renewals will automatically get VSPPE, so no decision needs to be made on whether to renew with VSPPE or note.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Wendy,

You said "all renewals will automatically get VSPPE". This is not what my vendor is telling me. It would appear that the correct information is not getting out to your vendors or to users.

I have been quoted AUD265 to update to the non VSPPE and AUD374 to update to VSPPE. My renewal is due within the next two months, and I want to renew as soon as possible because of the delays in our purchasing system. At present, I have not yet ordered.

Please clarify your cost structure for renewals (we also have other licenses due in Sept, which we are getting quotes for).

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I

David,

Yes you are correct all 10.0 Standardpurchases will have VSPPE and all renewals will also have VSPPE.

<>

AllIntel Visual Fortran for Windows products for puchase and renewal do have VSPPE, but as you say some resellers could be confused. Please file an issue at premier.intel.com with the reseller name so we can fix the confusion. Meanwhile here are some web links that can hopefully clarify the situration for you and others:

New purchases, see the quote:

"All editions now include Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition, providing a complete Fortran development environment."

at: http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/compilers/278834.htm

and for renewals, see the quote:

"It also now includes Microsoft Visual Studio* 2005 Premier Partner Edition, providing a complete Fortran development environment."

at http://shop.intel.com/shop/product.asp?pid=SISW3284&attr=CM

Haje,

I am looking into your concerns on lack of VSPPE for 9.1 existing customers.

0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
Wendy

I am an existing 9.1 customer with a current Premier Support Renewal contract.

As per my original post that started this thread (30235376), the version options I am offered on the DL page for v10 do NOT include VSPPE. (& indeed the files available do not exactly match the descriptions in the RN and elsewhere).

As per my post (30235439) and your two most recent posts, renewals should get VSPPE, so why is there no version with VSPPE included available for me to DL?

David
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I

Just to clarify, when I stated renewals will obtain VSPPE, I meant renewals purchased on or after the 10.0 launch date of June 6, 2007, not those purchased before 10.0 was available. The price of the product and renewals has increased to incorporate the increased cost of VSPPE when shipping with the product. If you renew now it will extend your support license for one year from the current expiration date and you will be able to download a version with VSPPE. Note we are offering the renewals at a good price of $280 and the renewals upgrade you to a Professional Edition which will also give you the Intel Math Kernel Libraries. More information on renewals here:

http://shop.intel.com/shop/product.asp?pid=SISW3286&attr=CM

I should reiterate the VSPPE does have limitations compared to Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 (see my past post in this thread for the details) and in fact would only be valuable to those without Microsoft Visual Studio already or those using the command line verison of the compiler with Microsoft Visual Studio Express Edition.

Wendy

0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
Wendy

Thanks for your reply.

Does raise a couple of points though.

. I posted a cheque (= US "check") earlier this morning (8 June, NZ) to pay for my Support Services License renewal (ie. 1 day after 6 June, US)***. The invoice was posted out by the reseller about a month ago but my current license still has over a month to run. Intention of paying early was to gain access to VSPPE, which seemed to be the case as of last night. However, having now read your latest post, I am now wondering whether this will be the case.
  • Once I receive the details back from my reseller & register my renewal, will I be able to access a VSPPE version (& PE)?
  • Or will I now have to wait over 13 months to access these options?

#2. Perhaps more at issue, one of the main attractions of taking out Premier Support was that it covered upgrades for the following 12 months. To be specific, the Intel email license reminder of 29/05/2006 stated: "We hope you are enjoying your Intel Visual Fortran Compiler, Standard Edition, for Windows*. With your purchase, you received one year of support giving you access to Intel Premier Support and all product upgrades at no charge. Your support services license will expire on 2006/07/27. To renew now, ..." ****. The corresponding email I received yesterday (6 June, US) says the same, except with the date changed to "Jul 27, 2007".

VSPPE is clearly an integral part of IVF10. The product description site states that "All editions include Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition (except for evaluation and student license types)". The RN lists VSPPE as just one of several components of v10. Steve's post (6 June) on c.l.f states "Intel Visual Fortran 10.0 which is now a completely self-contained product! That's right, nothing else to buy! Intel Visual Fortran 10.0 includes Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition, ...".

The "WhatsNew" for v10 (https://premier.intel.com/premier/WhatsNew.aspx) states: "For those customers with current support services, you may download the new compiler version from the Intel Registration Center. Please note that there have been some name changes. For existing Intel Visual Fortran Compiler, Standard Edition, for Windows* customers, this product has been renamed to Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows*". Nothing about being allowed to DL only parts of "Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows*"

ie:
  • The product has been renamed
  • v10 is clearly an upgrade to v9.1 in terms of the support services license / contract
  • Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows* includes VSPPE, just like other new features are included (as the IDE was originally part of CVF)
It is not clear to me how the now st ated policy for updates (your 30235580) complies with the Support Services license terms (contract) applying at time of purchase ... indeed whether your reply is even consistent with the "WhatsNew" on the Intel site for v10.

----

FWIW I do understand the (unfortunate) limitations of VSPPE. Yes MS C++ 2003 does have some advantages (though they probably will not impact me a this point). But the MS C++ 2003 IDE cannot be used with IVF on Vista, which potently is a greater limitation.

Regards
David

*** In fact it was 2+ days after I received notification from Intel and downloaded the 10.0.025 files (on 5 June, NZ time). My first post in this thread was on 5 June. Not certain how the "launch date" was 6 June, as notification was sent & the files available for DL very early am 5 Jun (US) at the latest.

**** should perhaps read "no addtional charge" ?

0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I

David and other 9.1 customers who would like VSPPE,

There are some gliches pleasecontact Intel support by creating an issue at (premier.intel.com)and well take care of you we are sorry for an inconvenience.

We will ABSOLUTELY take care of 9.1 customers.

Wendy

0 Kudos
HKort
Beginner
Wendy,
thank you very much for this response. It was the right management decision. In my case, I have a license valid through spring 2008. Originally I would have had to wait nearly e year until I could use VSPPE at my next renewal. Thus there would have been virtually no advantage of keeping a maintenance contract. I am glad the issue is resolved.

Thank you,
Haje
0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
Thanks Wendy

Glad to see this is now resolved.

David
0 Kudos