Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Installation Problem

cloneboysa
Beginner
I've installed the compiler, using all the default options and directories. However, when I try and run the sample problem, int_sin.f90, I get the message: "ifort: error: could not find linux directory based on g++" This may be a simple problem, but as I am new to LInux, I'm not to sure what to do, and can't find anything about it.

I've installed on a dual AMD Opteron PC, runnning Fedora Core 3 (64 bit).

David
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
A working installation of g++ is required. If none was present when you were installing, it does seem that you should have got a message about that. Are your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables set up normally, so that g++ will work, if it is present?
Commands which should help answer these questions include
which g++
whereis g++
g++ -v
env | grep PATH
If your PATH has been clobbered in the window you have open, try opening a new window.
0 Kudos
cloneboysa
Beginner
MAny thanks for the response. Now, using your suggested commands, I couldn't find anything to do with g++ on my computer. SO I assume I have to download and install it. Is there anything particular I have to use, or will any version suffice?

David
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Please read the Intel Fortran Compiler installation guide for details on g++ versions.
0 Kudos
cloneboysa
Beginner
Many thanks for the help, have the compiler up and running now.

David
0 Kudos
feipeng
Beginner
I met the same problem. Could you please describe in detail how did you solve the problem? Thanks.

Should I install g++ any way?
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Normally, you would use the g++ installation options which come standard with your linux distribution, if that g++ comes within the version range preferred for ifort. As Steve mentioned earlier in the thread, there are instructions about this in the compiler installation package.
I generally install all the gcc/g++ packages, including "legacy" or 32-bit compilers, if applicable, and "compatibility" libraries. ifort for 64-bit em64t requires both the 32-bit and 64-bit gcc/g++ installations.
0 Kudos
feipeng
Beginner
I have solved the problem by installing all GNU g++ compilers. There are two options in my SUSE installation package. Earlier, I selected only one. Now, the compiler works. Thanks.

Feipeng
0 Kudos