Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Installing Fortran on new PC

GWats1
New Contributor I

Old PC is Win 7 and I have a valid license of Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Update 4 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows installed on it.

I run it on Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Shell (integrated) Version 12.0.40629.00 Update 5

I'm getting a new PC to replace old desktop and wondering what order and what files I need to install on the new Win 10 Intel Laptop.

I tried to install the Fortran EXE but it says something like I have the wrong Visual Studio or something. I tried to D/L the Visual Studio but I'm not sure which one.

I just dabble in Fortran that I learned in 1967 and write or revise programs only occasionally (once every 6 months) but I need to get Fortran going on the new PC. .... Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Devorah_H_Intel

Please see Release Notes, particularly the part on System Requirements  - it has a list of supported Visual Studio versions among other things.

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

Thanks for the pointer. I think I got it installed but it gave me some warning that I copied here:

Microsoft Visual Studio Shell* deprecation
Microsoft* has announced the stand-alone Microsoft Visual Studio Shell* will not be available for Visual Studio 2017. As such, we are no longer providing a standalone shell. 
An integrated shell is available as part of the full Microsoft Visual Studio bundle. Please refer to https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/ for further information on the Microsoft Visual Studio product offerings. For any questions or requests please contact us at https://software.intel.com/en-us/support.

It was also a little tough to navigate the Microsoft site to find the older Visual Shell and I think I had so sign up for an account.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You can use Microsoft Visual Studio Community Edition - this is generally a better choice than the Shell, and the license terms are very generous. Microsoft withdrew support for the Shell, though you should still be able to install it using an older product and then install the new one over it if you must.

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

Hi Dr Fortran;

Thanks for the reply. You have been answering my newbie Fortran questions for a long time and I'm glad you still participate in retirement on this forum. If this reply gets doubled up, it was because I was looking at the attached screen shot and closed the window by mistake so I am trying to reply again.

I think I did install VS Community 2017 and tried to attach a screen shot.  I guess the warning I posted was from the Fortran Composer edition install that warned about the Shell.

It is such a hassle to reinstall software on a new PC that was on an 8 year old desktop.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes, the installer warns you that the shell is no longer available, but if the install continued you should be good to go. 

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

Hi Guys;

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I got an update to  Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2020 Update 1 and installed it on my new PC and it looks like it uninstalled Visual Studio 2017 or XE 2020 no longer works with 2017. I dug around and am installing Visual Studio Community 2019 and it asked about workloads to install with it. I just work on some Fortran programs I wrote once in a great while and make a few revisions and did not know what to pick to install with VS 2019. Are there any that I need to just develop an EXE that is called to read an XML file and do some processing and spit out a TXT output?  

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

George:

You need the C++ work environments --  so you need to install VS 2019 first and make sure you pick the database sections as well as VS integrates with sql server etc.   

You then need to install Intel Fortran 

After that you are set as VS automatically tells you when to update, and so does Fortran.  

I have not found any problems with VS 2019 - but if you chose the VS 2019 preview route -- it and Fortran can sometimes have problems at an update, but the Fortran people are getting a lot better at staying current. 

If you like hanging out on the surfboard nose in a 5 metre swell screaming Mum look at me Mum, take the preview, if you child does that and you have a burning desire to inflict some form of retribution on the child pick the non-preview. I never encourage retribution against children aside from stealing chocolate.  

I see chocolate in the same light as Intel sees freeloaders on their software.  

JMN

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

I got VS 2019 installed (I think) but when I try to open my last project, it says it is incompatible and I guess I'm stuck.  Here is the contents of the .SLN file:

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 12.00
# Visual Studio 2013
VisualStudioVersion = 12.0.40629.0
MinimumVisualStudioVersion = 10.0.40219.1
Project("{6989167D-11E4-40FE-8C1A-2192A86A7E90}") = "BASEPLATE_DESIGN", "BASEPLATE_DESIGN\BASEPLATE_DESIGN.vfproj", "{0D923FEE-38DA-4A17-9624-22A7E3B1BD25}"
EndProject
Global
    GlobalSection(SolutionConfigurationPlatforms) = preSolution
        Debug|Win32 = Debug|Win32
        Release|Win32 = Release|Win32
    EndGlobalSection
    GlobalSection(ProjectConfigurationPlatforms) = postSolution
        {0D923FEE-38DA-4A17-9624-22A7E3B1BD25}.Debug|Win32.ActiveCfg = Debug|Win32
        {0D923FEE-38DA-4A17-9624-22A7E3B1BD25}.Debug|Win32.Build.0 = Debug|Win32
        {0D923FEE-38DA-4A17-9624-22A7E3B1BD25}.Release|Win32.ActiveCfg = Release|Win32
        {0D923FEE-38DA-4A17-9624-22A7E3B1BD25}.Release|Win32.Build.0 = Release|Win32
    EndGlobalSection
    GlobalSection(SolutionProperties) = preSolution
        HideSolutionNode = FALSE
    EndGlobalSection
EndGlobal

I also found a .VFPROJ file in a sub-folder.

Do I need to download a different Visual Studio that would open my old project?

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

This often happens with SLN files from older versions or other computers.  

Just create a new solution and copy all the fortran files into the folder - set it up again and usually that works.  Use the stock standard Fortran template. 

it happens to me about once a month as I use a lot of old programs from decades ago. 

You never know when the SLN is going to break but do not fix it -- that takes ages, just make a new one

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

Nichols, John wrote:

George:

You need the C++ work environments --  so you need to install VS 2019 first and make sure you pick the database sections as well as VS integrates with sql server etc.   

You then need to install Intel Fortran 

After that you are set as VS automatically tells you when to update, and so does Fortran.  

I have not found any problems with VS 2019 - but if you chose the VS 2019 preview route -- it and Fortran can sometimes have problems at an update, but the Fortran people are getting a lot better at staying current. 

If you like hanging out on the surfboard nose in a 5 metre swell screaming Mum look at me Mum, take the preview, if you child does that and you have a burning desire to inflict some form of retribution on the child pick the non-preview. I never encourage retribution against children aside from stealing chocolate.  

I see chocolate in the same light as Intel sees freeloaders on their software.  

JMN

I stumbled around and found I still have VS 2017 installed and I launched it and was able to open my old project. I may leave well enough alone and just update VS 2017

I work in the corporate world where I am not the Admin of my PC and the IT GODS granted me rights for a couple of days and I am installing software while I can.  I already updated Fortran to 2020 and then got VS 2019, so you think it would be worthwhile to reinstall VS 2019 with the C++, database, and sql  and then go back an reinstall Fortran 2020? 

TIA

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You shouldn't need to reinstall VS2019 - just make sure the Desktop C++ support is installed (see here) and do a "change/modify" of Intel Parallel Studio.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Curse the IT gods they lock up the whole world 

0 Kudos