Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel 9.1 (039) Compiler Hangs

jcjodoin
Beginner
All,

What in general causes the ifort compiler to hang?

I have a 2983 line fortran file with a large number of locals, and some character variable types (and functions).

I've been told by others that this combination is something that the compiler regularly barfs on.

I am a bit concerned since this code (f90 code translated from f77 code) compiled fine in the f77 Unix environment
it came from.

Any suggestions? Debugging I can do on the ifort itself to see where its getting stuck?

For grins, I let it run overnight last night on the 1 file that it hiccups on. It ran at 50% CPU all night long (12 hours).

I'd post code snippets -- but due to Intellectual Property considerations-- I can't.

Thanks much,

jeffrey
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

By hang you mean goes into a CPU-bound loop? A compiler bug can cause this, or in some cases, an optimization algorithm that just takes too long for a certain program. 9.1 is quite old at present - please try this with 11.1.
0 Kudos
jcjodoin
Beginner

By hang you mean goes into a CPU-bound loop? A compiler bug can cause this, or in some cases, an optimization algorithm that just takes too long for a certain program. 9.1 is quite old at present - please try this with 11.1.

Looks like a processing infinite loop error.

I updated to the new compiler ... 11.1 ... and it still bombs.

Is there a way I can debug ifort.exe to figure out where it is getting stuck?

Thanks,

jeffrey
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No. You can use Intel Premier Support to report the problem and provide a test case in a secure manner.
0 Kudos