Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel Fortran Compiler on Conda

philchiu
Beginner

It seems that the DPCPP compilerl can be activated in a conda recipe using the following, (from https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/installation-guide-for-intel-oneapi-toolkits-linux/top/installation/install-using-package-managers/conda.html)

requirements:
  build:
    - {{ compiler('dpcpp') }}   # [not osx]

At this point, is there anything comparable for Intel Fortran Compiler? The only Fortran package I find on the Intel channel is fortran_rt, which appears to only contain runtimes and not the actual ifort executable.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel forums.

We are rerouting this case to fortran forum as this case is more related to fortran and for your information the documentation link which you shared is not a proper link.Can you share the exact link to that page?

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Unfortunately, the Intel Fortran compiler itself is not available via Conda. As you see the Run Time libraries are. I created a Feature Request for the capability, INST-20325.

The Fortran compiler is available using other package managers.

0 Kudos
rafmudaf
Beginner

Hi @Barbara_P_Intel 

Could you share in which package managers the Fortran compiler (either ifort or ifx) are available? After searching through your documentation, it seems that although the references list "Intel Fortran Compiler" as a package to install, the package managers actually only contain the runtime libraries and not the compiler itself. I have successfully installed the Intel compilers with APT and otherwise it looks like Spack might actually have the compiler, as well, but these are only available for Linux.

Are the Fortran compilers available via package managers? If so, in which package manager are the Fortran compilers available for each operating system (Windows, macOS, Linux)?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
philchiu
Beginner

@rafmudaf - as @Barbara_P_Intel stated, ifort is not available via any conda package. That is what the INST-20325 issue is supposedly tracking.

But you can install ifort for free via oneAPI on all of the platforms you mentioned via the official oneAPI installers.

If you are looking to install these compilers in an automated way for CI usage, a useful resource is the oneapi-ci repo (https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneapi-ci), which contains recipes for how to install oneAPI components on all platforms without interaction.

@Barbara_P_Intel - is there a publicly viewable issue tracker where I can follow along the progress of INST-20325 ?

0 Kudos
rafmudaf
Beginner

Thanks @philchiu. I was referring to this line in @Barbara_P_Intel 's response:

> The Fortran compiler is available using other package managers.

And also the installation documentation for all platforms that imply that the "Intel® Fortran Compiler (Beta) and Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic" are available in various package managers (Windows-pip , Linux-pip, macOS-pip and the corresponding conda installation docs for each platform). I have installed the Fortran compiler on Linux via APT, but I have not been able to do so on other platforms through package managers.

Is it correct that currently the Fortran compilers are only available through package managers on Linux but INST-20325 may expand the supported platforms through conda or another package manager in the future?

I am indeed working on a CI pipeline that would ideally use the Intel Fortran compiler, so thank you for sending this demo repository to install via the offline installation scripts. This is a nice help.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

@rafmudaf  Check out this page. Click the Download button to explore the package managers available by OS.  The Fortran compilers are part of the oneAPI HPC Toolkit.  We recommend you install oneAPI Base Toolkit, too, to get the analyzer tools and libraries.

BTW, the Intel Fortran Compiler is no longer considered "Beta."  That was changed with oneAPI HPC Toolkit 2022.1.

@philchiu Sorry, the bug database is not available externally.

0 Kudos