Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28435 Discussions

Intel Fortran Compiler without preinstalled Visual Studio

Олег_Б_
Beginner

Hi.

Sure that this question was asked already, but I have troubles with finding answer. So,

I'm planning to purchase fortran compiler and now are using trial version.
(download full install package of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 from https://registrationcenter.intel.com through registration procedure.)
Problem is that there is no any version of Visual Studio in my system so I can't integrate fortran compiler into it.
I skim some pages in here and realize that free express version of VS doesn't support work with fortran compiler. Well, I uninstall it, after that fortran wizard notes that VS 2010 shell can be installed, but that option is unactive because valid license is not found. I suppose that reason is trial version of Parallel Studio, only after buying license installation of VS Shell becomes possible. But in that case it doesn't make any sense to use trial version, I just can't start working to evaluate this.

My main question is
1), that VS 2010 Shell, is it full development enviroment which allows to create, build and debug application from scratch, if I'm using fortran language only?

if yes, then
2), Is it really possible to create any fortran application with trial version of Parallel Studio and without any Visual Studio installed before? I know about starting from command line, but that option seems ineligible for me.

My operating system is Windows 7 x64 and I'm planning to use Windows 8 in future.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

With the trial compiler, and no VS installed (other than, perhaps, the express edition), you can download and install a Windows SDK. With the environment properly set, you can then do the full range of things that are possible in command line mode.

If you feel that you must include Visual Studio in the trial, or you wish to see how symbolic debugging of Fortran programs works, you can download and install a trial version of Visual Studio and then install the trial version of Intel Fortran.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Our evaluation page tells you explicitly that you can download a free trial of Visual Studio from Microsoft and provides the link. Use that for evaluation. Once you are done evaluating and you are ready to install the purchased Fortran, uninstall Fortran and Visual Studio. Delete the Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0 folder (from VS2013), then install Fortran.

0 Kudos
Олег_Б_
Beginner

mecej4, Steve, thank you for help. I will try to install trial version of VS.

0 Kudos