Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Intel Fortran, update 5, 2019 can not be integrated with Visual studio community 2019

User1575907986316695

Hello

I installed Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 (Version 16.4.0, VisualStudio.16. Release /16.4.0+29519.181, Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 4.8.03761, Visual C++ 2019   00435-60000-00000-AA253),  and installed Intel Parallel XE 2019, update 5 on my windows 10.  Click Tools>Options>Intel Compilers and tools>, “Intel visual fortran” is not on the list of C++ while "Code Coverage", "OptimiZation Reports", "Performance Libraries" and "Profile Guided Optimization" are on the list.  Also the folder “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\intel\shared files\VS Integration\VS16\Intel Fortran\VFPackages” was not generated. Instead, folder, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\shared files\VS Integration\OptReportsDB\VS16", was generated.

Could anybody tell me how to sort out this issue.

Many thanks

Renfan

0 Kudos
20 Replies
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We are working on it and will get back to you.

-Abhishek

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Get the preview version of VS 2019 it works fine

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

See the picture, I have been having this problem with several older versions of VS -- Intel are aware of the problem - had several nice emails with intel's rep about this matter and my use of a NUC

There is no reason not to use the preview it works fine with Intel Fortran

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

For Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 5 installation - please run the installer again and select Repair option

Another option to try - remove/uninstall Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 5 and install newly released 2020 version.

You can definitely check out VS preview - it is just not officially supported yet. However, nothing can prevent you from using it.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

You can definitely check out VS preview - it is just not officially supported yet. However, nothing can prevent you from using it.

Reminds me of Maxwell Smart == maybe 50 boy scouts with _____________ fill in the blank

Proverb: never FORTRAN on a Sunday it warps the brain.

0 Kudos
User1575907986316695

John, many thanks!  following your instruction, I installed VS community preview 2019 and Intel XE 2020 cluster edition for windows (without professional version for download), then visual fortran eventually has been integrated under "Intel compilers and tools" in VS. 

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 Preview

Version 16.5.0 Preview 1.0

VisualStudio.16.Preview/16.5.0-pre.1.0+29521.150

Microsoft .NET Framework

Version 4.8.03761

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Dear Renfan

Staying with the latest is easier with all of these programs.  MS is moving to very rapid development cycles. VS 2017 is dead - move past it. 

I do this because we have machines that cannot stop running and if they do a visit takes a long time and costs more than the computer is worth.  If something is going to break I want it to happen on my main machine that is near me. Even a complete failure here is a days work  - a failure in Iowa is three days of work. 

The Boeing timing failure shows the difficulty of running stuff to NASA Level 9. 

John

0 Kudos
LRaim
New Contributor I

About the statement "VS 2017 is dead".
I have recently seen (in the MS Visual Studio documentation) a table containing the year of end support of the various Visual Studio version. The final year of support for VS 2017 is 2027.

Regards 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

VS2017 is not "dead". For what it's worth, I have the 2020 compiler integrated with VS17 and VS19 and working in both. I don't recall the integration taking more than the 5 minutes or so that is typical.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Dear Steve and Luigi:

You are both correct, but MS pushed out significant changes in 2017 that had an impact on installing Intel Fortran.  If you install VS 2017, without VS 2019 then installing Intel Fortran is hit and miss.  I did it earlier in the week and it did not work.  If you push install VS 2017 and VS 2019 at the same time then Fortran will not install on VS 2017 properly ever. This my trying it on a Intel NUC and a HP Envy. It may work on other computers.  

MS has very quickly moved to make VS2019 better than VS2017, look at the significant number of updates and the very quick move into NET CORE 3 etc. 

If you Fortran and use VS and you need to reinstall occasionally then VS2019 will always work and 17 will not. 

If you have it installed and you are happy then stay happy and merry xmas. 

My point as far as MS is concerned VS 2017 is dead, the end of support is interesting till you look at the 30% of computers still running Windows 7. 

But if I have to install Fortran again then I reach for VS 2019. 

Warm regards

John

0 Kudos
Ian_K_
New Contributor I

I am trying to transition from VS2017 to VS2019.  At present I have multiple version of FOTRAN installed on VS2017 because of various unresolved issues (that have been at Intel support for more than a year).  After I installed VS2019,  I tried to integrate version 19.1 using the "modify" and then "customize" options (selecting VS2017 and VS2019 at that point).  It fairly rapidly went through the motions to completion with no diagnostic messages.  The result was no FORTRAN at all in VS2019 and no sign of it in the relevant directories.  Nest at the modify stage I selected only VS2019 and once again there was no FORTRAN in VS2019 but now no FORTRAN (any version)  in VS2017.  Luckily when I tried again and selected 2017 to modify, the integration of all the versions reappeared in VS2017.  So now I have VS2019 but no capability to install FORTRAN.  I should note that I am using the community edition of VS.

Any help/ideas for progress would be appreciated. I am reluctant to let go of VS2017 because of the as yet unresolved legacy issues and the possible need to have to reinstall multiple versions of FORTRAN

Thanks in advance

Ian

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Remove all of the Intel Fortran Programs using the uninstall on Control Panel

Then remove all the VS 2019 using the CP 

Download CCleaner - free program and run it to clean the out all the crap = it is a safe program 

Install VS 2019 and select all of the options -- you need three critical ones, but selecting all means you do not miss one

Then install FORTRAN -- it will ask you for integration make sure you select 2019 VS. 

It is the fastest and easiest way 

Good luck. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

My advice would be the same, except skip CCleaner, which creates more problems than it solves.

0 Kudos
Ian_K_
New Contributor I

Thank you for the suggestions, Do I infer from these suggestions that I will lose all the VS2017 integrations.  I was hoping not to have to lose them because at present I rely on FORTRAN 17 and 18 to get reliable results (version 18 was a support issue with optimization errors) and to be able to debug (Version 19 debugging is already a support issue that I was hoping to have resolved with version 19.1) .  Some further questions,

1   Can FORTRAN 17 and 18 be integrated into VS2019?

2    When I reinstall FORTRAN 17 and 18 and 19 is it necessary to start with the initial version or can I just start with latest update?

3    Should I do them in release order or are they strictly independent?

4    Should I give up on integration of VS2017?

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
Ian_K_
New Contributor I

Hi,

As a followup to the process suggested i reviewed the programs for possible uninstall as you suggested.  I then noted that the installed Intel parallel studio versions do not match my integrated compilers in VS2017.  In fact there are no  FORTRAN version 17 versions in the list.

Does that mean that when I uninstall the from the software list the integrations in VS2017 will remain?

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

You can install VS 2017 and VS 2019 at the same time, but do it first and from fresh installs - ie clean out all from before - select everything in VS 

Then when you install Fortran it will give you both choices to integrate into VS 2017 and 2019 -- select both 

It is easy - but make sure it is a very clean install 

Steve is correct CCleaner can be used to clean the registry.  This is always a risk, it depends how risk tolerant you are and your luck with using it before. 

Me, I use the latest Windows 10 preview with VS 2019 preview on my main computer - but I am risk tolerant and I have everything backed up and reinstalling everything in a few hours, I do not see as a problem. 

Although Preview  gave me problems once and it gave a lot of problems all over the world and 2 days later MS pushed a fix. The latest Win 10 preview gives you a nice set of bonuses. 

John

0 Kudos
Ian_K_
New Contributor I

Thank you,

I have now made progress on installation within VS2019 and I thought that it might be useful to share my experience that finally worked.  First, I removed FORTRAN 19.1 from VS2017.  This left me with apparently no integrations in VS2017  (I was at that time disappointed because it appeared that I had lost FORTRAN 17 and 18 which I still use).  Next I used uninstalled all Intel Composer versions from the Programs list.  Note that FORTRAN 17 did not appear there.  Next I installed FORTRAN 19.05 onto both VS2019 and VS2017 (it gave me no options to choose actually).  Finally I installed FORTRAN 19.10.  Miraculously FORTRAN 17 and 18 reappeared in VS2017.  So now, it is all good I can use VS2017 when I need access to the FORTRAN 17 and 18 and either VS2017 or VS2019 for version 19.  Version 19.1 has now created a new question with a screen message as follows

"omp_set_nested routine deprecated.  Please use omp_set_max_active_levels instead"

My code used OMP!!  Has anybody information on how I can implement this when I only use simple OMP directives to parellelise an inner do loop

Ian

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Ian K. wrote:

Thank you,

I have now made progress on installation within VS2019 and I thought that it might be useful to share my experience that finally worked.  First, I removed FORTRAN 19.1 from VS2017.  This left me with apparently no integrations in VS2017  (I was at that time disappointed because it appeared that I had lost FORTRAN 17 and 18 which I still use).  Next I used uninstalled all Intel Composer versions from the Programs list.  Note that FORTRAN 17 did not appear there.  Next I installed FORTRAN 19.05 onto both VS2019 and VS2017 (it gave me no options to choose actually).  Finally I installed FORTRAN 19.10.  Miraculously FORTRAN 17 and 18 reappeared in VS2017.  So now, it is all good I can use VS2017 when I need access to the FORTRAN 17 and 18 and either VS2017 or VS2019 for version 19.  Version 19.1 has now created a new question with a screen message as follows

"omp_set_nested routine deprecated.  Please use omp_set_max_active_levels instead"

My code used OMP!!  Has anybody information on how I can implement this when I only use simple OMP directives to parellelise an inner do loop

Ian

There are options to customize integration - it is very easy to miss them.

Always feels good when it runs. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Ian_K_
New Contributor I

Thank you John, I see where I missed the option.  No harm done this time.  My hope is that I will be able to preserve Version 2017 on Visual Studio 2017 when a true FORTRAN 2020 version appears that will undo my 2017 integrations due to the 3 year deprecation rule.  I will try to limit version to VS2019.

Ian

0 Kudos