Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28477 Discussions

Intel Multi Thredaded MKL with OpenMPI

rafadix
Beginner
Hi all,
I have a code that is being parallelized in 24 processes using OpenMPI. Each process makes use of the MKL library.
If I compile my code using the multi threaded MKL library and set OMP_NUM_THREADS to, say, 4, does that actually mean that each process using MKL will use 4 threads? So I need 24*4 threads?
I have many other questions, but I will start with this one, which is more basic.
Many thanks!
Rafael
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Yes, that's what it means. The OpenMP library does not know that OpenMPI (or any other parallelization library) is also managing streams of execution, so you do run the risk of "oversubscribing" the processor.
0 Kudos
rafadix
Beginner
OK, that helps, thanks. That is probably why I was getting a segmentation fault message.
I am submitting a job with qsub. If I want the job to launch 24 processes, each using MKL with 4 threads, how should my PBS file look like?
===============================
#PBS -N Job_Estimation
#PBS -o PBS_out
#PBS -e PBS_error
#PBS -l walltime=00:10:00
#PBS -l nodes=24:ppn=4
setenv OMP_NUM_THREADS 4
mpirun -bynode -np 24 ./execname
================================
Does that look right? I am still getting a segmentation fault message, not sure where I should look into.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I can't help you there - my MPI knowledge is quite limited. I'm sure someone else here will know.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Did you test a single MPI process with 4 threads to see if you set your stacks large enough?
The PBS settings look reasonable, if you're not using a development version of OpenMPI which supports multiple threaded ranks per node (as Intel MPI does).
0 Kudos
rafadix
Beginner
Thank you, Tim.
Yes, with just one process it works. I am using 2011 versions of Intel OpenMPI and Intel Fortran Compiler.
I tried setting OMP_NUM_THREADS to 1 directly on my prompt, without using qsub and a PBS file.
It worked launching it from one node, without using qsub:
mpirun -np 24 ./execname
When I tried another node, it gave a segmentation fault error message.
It also kept giving me segmentation fault when I submit with qsub and the PBS file, even with OMP_NUM_THREADS set to 1.
Do you have a hint of what I should be looking at?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Both the shell stack size (e.g. ulimit -s) and the thread stack size (OMP_STACKSIZE or KMP_STACKSIZE) limits come into play. Did you read the article about diagnosing segfaults which is posted at the top of this forum?
0 Kudos