Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28494 Discussions

Intel VF 11.1 with Windows 7 and Visual Studio 10?

rrobinson2
Beginner
I have a Windows 7 64-bt OS and Visual Studio 2010.

When I install Visual Fortran 11.1 it says that integration with Visual Studio will not be done,
see the release notes. But the latest release notes don't mention this.

Any information appreciated.

RR
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The release notes specify which versions of Visual Studio are eligible for integration. If you read previous posts on this forum, you would see that integration with VS2010 is planned for the next major version (which hasn't yet appeared even in beta). Needless to say, with VS2010 having only just solidified, an extensive testing phase is needed, while ifort 11.1 was finalized well before VS2010 details were known.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
VS2010 is not supported by the 11.1 compiler. It will be supported in a new release late this year.
0 Kudos
James_Griffin
Beginner
That's seems like an awfully long lag time.
0 Kudos
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II

Presumably we will need to get VS2010 SP3 before it all runs smoothly :-)
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We need the time to extensively beta test the VS2010 interface, as it is so different, internally, from that of VS2008. I will say that, based on my own use of VS2010 so far (ignoring the Fortran integration aspect), I'd recommend sticking with VS2008 unless you absolutely need new features in VS2010. I find VS2010 slow, cumbersome, and a major step backward in usability. Fortran stuff seems ok, but the C++ projects I am working on have maddening, incompatible behavior in VS10. Mixed-language applications need special attention to configuration adjustments. Perhaps there is some other goodness in there somewhere, but I'm not yet seeing it.
0 Kudos
thomas_boehme
New Contributor II

Steve,

In case you are looking for beta testers for the VS2010 integration and the next major IVF version, I'd love to be included as a tester.

regards,
Thomas

0 Kudos