Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28463 Discussions

Intel Visual Fortran and the Visual Studio Shell

bwhazel
Beginner
This is my first post, so I hope I am posting it in the correct place!
I am interested in purchasing the student edition of Intel Visual Fortran for Windows, and would just like to clarify a couple of issues regarding it before I commit:
- I read in a PDF on the IVF page that the student edition does not include the Visual Studio Shell. Is this true? I own a copy of Visual Studio 2010 Pro (I saw on a forum post that support is coming later this year).
- Does IVF offer binding to the .NET Framework within Fortran code, i.e. calling .NET classes and methods?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
This is the place. The questions have been touched with more authority and detail, so I'll answer briefly, if my connection to the site will hold up.
Academic ifort doesn't include Visual Studio Shell, because the full academic VS is cheaper.
Everyone can get VS2008 for 90 days free, while you wait for the VS2010 compatibility in ifort academic.
ifort makes only unmanaged code for .net. I believe you must use a .net language to support .net methods, where you can call also ifort compiled code.
Fortran compilers which support .net directly require extensions to Fortran syntax which haven't become popular. They came into being when Microsoft didn't allow VS debugger to work with Fortran native code, a restriction which has since been resolved.
0 Kudos
bwhazel
Beginner
Many thanks for your response!

So, just to check, I own a copy of VS 2010 Professional acquired through the Microsoft DreamSpark web site. Would the academic ifort integrate with it (once VS2010 intergation is available) even though academic ifort does not come with the VS shell?
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
Yes the compiler will find any copies of Microsoft Visual Studio on your system and (except Express Edition) integrate into the IDE on all it finds.

------

Wendy

Attaching or including files in a post

0 Kudos
bwhazel
Beginner
Brilliant!

Thank you all for your help!
0 Kudos