Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28499 Discussions

Intel fortran compiler on laptop with 3.2 GHz P4

cria_ro
Beginner
I've been using Intel Fortran Compiler at school for more than a year on an AMD 1700+. A few months ago I got a laptop with a P4 3.2 GHz processor. I start running the same programs on my laptop using the same compiler and surprisingly the time for complete was the same like only one of the 2 logical processors was used. How can I make my programs to run faster.

Thank you

Cristian
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
First, please understand that even with Hyper-Threading technology, you still have only one physical processor. To take advantage of Hyper-Threading, you need to have a multithreaded application with two or more execution threads.

There are many ways to do that - you can try the compiler's -parallel option and see what you get, you can use OpenMP or you can "roll your own" threading using Linux threads. See the Optimizing Applications section of the Intel Fortran Compiler documentation for more on building multithreaded applications.
0 Kudos
cria_ro
Beginner
Thak you for the answer.

BR

Cristian
0 Kudos