Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28494 Discussions

Intel9 Fortran Compiler Problem using openMPI

din1587
Beginner
Hi!

I obtained a Fortran code I'd like to compile. The compiler command I was given is:
mpif77 -compiler intel9 -O3 -ip -pad -xW -o .f

My machine is running openSuse 11.1 I have installed and configured both openMPI and the latest version of the Intel Fortran compiler. When I try to compile my code I get the following result:

# mpif77 -compiler intel9 -O3 -ip -pad -xW -o .f
ifort: command line warning #10156: ignoring option '-c'; no argument required
ifort: error #10236: File not found: 'intel9'
.f(9224): warning #8043: The extra characters in the format specification will be ignored ['(8(F16.7,1X)))']
WRITE(14,'(8(F16.7,1X)))') X1, X2, X3, RO_FLUC, VEL_X_FLUC,
-----------------------------^

And that's it - it stopped there and never finished compiling. Any suggestions as to what might help?
Unfortunately I don't know much about Fortran, openMPI or the Intel compiler and I can only guess what I need all the options specified in my command for.
Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

#crosspost:
This question has also been asked here:
http://forums.opensuse.org/programming-scripting/423710-intel-fortran-problem-intel9.html#post2055426
http://www.linux-club.de/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=105822&p=652919#p652919
But has not received any significant help.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Your mpif77 wrapper doesn't understand the option -compiler intel9 and thus passes it to the ifort driver who interprets -compiler (not a valid ifort option either) as the -c option (ifort simply ignores the "ompiler" part), but then ifort subsequently tries compiling a file named intel9 which fails. That failure related to intel9 is fatal which is why compilation halted.

Assuming file.f is a complete program, just drop the -compiler intel9 from your mpif77 command line.

You may have other run-time issue lurking related to the warning. The ouput to unit 14 might not be what's expected if a portion of the format statement was really ignored.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - din1587

My machine is running openSuse 11.1 I have installed and configured both openMPI and the latest version of the Intel Fortran compiler. When I try to compile my code I get the following result:

#crosspost:
This question has also been asked here:
http://forums.opensuse.org/programming-scripting/423710-intel-fortran-problem-intel9.html#post2055426
http://www.linux-club.de/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=105822&p=652919#p652919
But has not received any significant help.
OK, one of the first prerequisites for getting help is choice of appropriate forums, and meeting reasonable expectations that you follow posted advice as a first step. You leave a great deal of doubt whether you followed the instructions on the openmpi site, as that is a good place to ask questions once you have taken advantage of their posted advice.
Your title alone is sufficiently discrepant in comparison with the question you ask. What does "intel9" have to do with your question? It might reasonably be assumed to mean Intel 9.0 compilers, yet you say you use "latest," which of course would be a much better choice with a current distro.
0 Kudos
din1587
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
OK, one of the first prerequisites for getting help is choice of appropriate forums, and meeting reasonable expectations that you follow posted advice as a first step. You leave a great deal of doubt whether you followed the instructions on the openmpi site, as that is a good place to ask questions once you have taken advantage of their posted advice.
Your title alone is sufficiently discrepant in comparison with the question you ask. What does "intel9" have to do with your question? It might reasonably be assumed to mean Intel 9.0 compilers, yet you say you use "latest," which of course would be a much better choice with a current distro.

Well, thank you, tim18.
I have tried multiple forums and was told that both openMPI, Fortran and Intel are very special problems.
Hence I came here (the Intel forum) to ask my question.
Yes, I followed the instructions on the openmpi site - I will ask around there, too.
The title of my post refers to the command I was given, which includes "-compiler intel9" - I cannot judge the importance of this option, but I assumed it would be something to recognize the problem by.
If you suggest that I should use Intel 9.0 compilers instead of the latest available version (which is what I downloaded) why not say so?
To me your answer is as helpful and potentially meaningless as my question might be to you.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
No, as we said, current Intel compilers come closer to supporting OpenSuSE 11.1. You don't say anything about whether previous posts on that subject on this section of the forum (including the one on the forum header page), or those about openmpi http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-building-open-mpi-with-the-intel-compilers/ are helpful to you, nor have you yet cleared up the mystery about what you mean by "intel9.". Ask misleading questions if you intend to get meaningless answers.
0 Kudos
din1587
Beginner
The problem was essentially a mismatch between the 32bit compiler and a 64bit library.
Here's what I did to make it work (just in case someone runs into the same problem):

with openMPI:

# ./configure OMPI_F77=/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/056/bin/intel64/ifort --with-wrapper-fflags='-compiler -03 -ip -pad -xW -w -02' OMPI_FFLAGS='-compiler -03 -ip -pad -xW -w -02'

the compiler command itsself:

# mpif77 -O3 -ip -pad -xW -o .f

This compiled just fine.
0 Kudos