Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Learning Fortran from Scratch

Groundsel
Beginner
Hello,

One of our people who joined us recently is interested in learning Fortran. She has experience with other programming languages but not specifically Fortran and we do rather a lot of our work with it.

Oddly enough, simply googling the local universities for an introductory course has not worked very well thus far. One finds a lot of references requiring it as a prerequisite but nothing offering it to a novice. I suspect this question comes up often. Self-education through correspondence or the web would work for us. She is a very sharp young woman and will not be dismayed at the prospect of self-education. (And several people here are experienced Fortran programmers to provide local assistance along the way.) So I wondered if there is anything you could suggest.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Especially in the US, Fortran is not often taught in schools. Outside the US you will find courses more easily.

There are a number of good "textbooks" to teach the language. One such is Introduction to Programming with Fortran with coverage of Fortran 90, 95, 2003 and 77, by I.D. Chivers and J. Sleightholme; published by Springer, ISBN 978-1-84628-053-5

See http://www.fortranplus.co.uk/resources/fortran_resources.pdf for additional titles.
0 Kudos
lklawrie
Beginner
you might also check out www.fortran.com

good bunch of resources.

Linda
0 Kudos