Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Licencing Question

Stephen_Sutcliffe
New Contributor II

Not sure if this is the right place to submit this type of topic...

I have just renewed my subscription for Premier Support as it was due to expire on 6th November. I received a licence file a couple of weeks ago and the registration showed an updated expiry date of November 2023 which is as expected. However at 12:00 midnight, every night, for the past few weeks I get a message saying it will expire on 6th November and still does.

Stephen_Sutcliffe_2-1667940831278.png

When I clicked Renew>> it sometimes said it couldn't connect to the server or other times it took me to a page advertising an upgrade to a multiple node subscription. This page did however confirm that my expiry date is Nov 2023 contrary to the one shown on the form.

The good news is that I can still use the software without any problem though I didn't now if this would be the case until the 7th.

I asked my supplier (Grey Matter in UK) to check two or three weeks and they confirmed that everything was set up ok and passed my query on to Intel. The response from Intel was for me to click on a support link that took me to a login support website.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html.

which didn't look relevant as it was related to user account login details not licencing. To cut a long story medium length, I believe I've tracked the problem down to an app called Intel Software Manager which I believe was installed back in the day with an earlier version of XE when programs required licences. My questions are:

1) Is it safe to get rid of the Intel Software Manager as it is now obsolete? (I think you used to be able to run this from Visual Studio.)

2) If so should ISM get removed when uninstalling the older versions if it is no longer appropriate?

3) If not why does ISM keep sending reminders? (The cynic in me wonders if it is to try to get you to upgrade (at much extra cost but no real benefit) to the multi-node option. 

4) What is the point of the licence file?

I do wonder if it is worth paying for this Premier Support in future if you can continue to use the software free of charge. I assume you would no longer get updates in this case.

This whole licencing philosophy is very confusing. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Stephen_Sutcliffe
New Contributor II

Hi Barbara,

Thnks for your quick response. I appreciate your help in this matter. I have copied the post to the more appropriate forum you suggested

It is not a major issue now I know that I can continue using the software.  i thought it might be of help other users who may experience similar problems.

Thanks,

Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

Since you paid for Premier Support, use this link to Online Service Center, https://supporttickets.intel.com/servicecenter?lang=en-US. to ask your questions.

0 Kudos
Stephen_Sutcliffe
New Contributor II

Stephen_Sutcliffe_0-1667946804173.png

You could not make it up! You get what you pay for I suppose. This is exactly the sort of response that is really frustrating!

0 Kudos
Stephen_Sutcliffe
New Contributor II

Hi Barbara,

Thnks for your quick response. I appreciate your help in this matter. I have copied the post to the more appropriate forum you suggested

It is not a major issue now I know that I can continue using the software.  i thought it might be of help other users who may experience similar problems.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos