Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28523 Discussions

Limit on Number of Projects in Workspace?

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I am converting a fairly large collection of programs (upwards of 80) from a VMS system to Windows N/T using visual fortran 6.6B

As the same dll's come into play, it is convenient to place the entire collection as projects within the same work-space. I was wondering if there is a limitation on the number of projects one can include in a workspace or whether one can expect things to bog down as the number of projects proliferate. Just now, I am at 21 and there seems to be no problem yet.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No limit that we're aware of. It's probably a good idea to avoid hundreds of projects, though...

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Our main application currently has 44 FORTRAN and C++ projects in one workspace and we've had no problems with it.

On the first run (compile) after the workspace is opened, it does take a couple of minutes to run through all the project dependencies and includes, but after that it is much quicker.

I remember it did take quite a while to sort out all the project dependencies so that they built in the correct order, but other than that...
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Thanks for the replies. The number of projects will be dozens rather than hundreds. So we should be OK in light of this experience.
0 Kudos