Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Manage different Fortran projects

junhonguk
Beginner
Dear All,

What is the better way to estabilish a solution for managing various fortran projects?
The current application I have got contains serveral fortran projects. When a sub-project is complied, the executable file is copied to a folder called "bin". When one of the option within the main project is selected, this executable file is invoked through system shell command. It works properly.

The problem is that each time when I try to debug it is not able to navigate to the source code of sub-project.
I wonder if it is a better way to establish the whole project. The program will stop at the point where I set a break-point inside the sub-project.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - junhonguk
Dear All,

What is the better way to estabilish a solution for managing various fortran projects?
The current application I have got contains serveral fortran projects. When a sub-project is complied, the executable file is copied to a folder called "bin". When one of the option within the main project is selected, this executable file is invoked through system shell command. It works properly.

The problem is that each time when I try to debug it is not able to navigate to the source code of sub-project.
I wonder if it is a better way to establish the whole project. The program will stop at the point where I set a break-point inside the sub-project.

Thanks!

If I understand you correctly - you have an executable "A" which then runs another executable "B" ?
You are running "A" in debug mode and expect to be able to step into "B" also in debug mode ?
I don't think that can be done (at least I haven't found a way to do it )

What I do is open Visual Studio with "A" as the project, put a break point at the statement where "B" is about to be called. Then I have another instance of Visual Studio open with "B" as the project and when the first break point is reached I start debugging "B" - with any appropriate command line values of course.

Les
0 Kudos
junhonguk
Beginner
Quoting - Les Neilson
Quoting - junhonguk
Dear All,

Thanks!

If I understand you correctly - you have an executable "A" which then runs another executable "B" ?
You are running "A" in debug mode and expect to be able to step into "B" also in debug mode ?
I don't think that can be done (at least I haven't found a way to do it )

What I do is open Visual Studio with "A" as the project, put a break point at the statement where "B" is about to be called. Then I have another instance of Visual Studio open with "B" as the project and when the first break point is reached I start debugging "B" - with any appropriate command line values of course.

Les

Yes, you understand me fully.
Thanks for comments.
0 Kudos