Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26729 Discussions

Memory dealocation is not performed in OMP parallel block

Parshutkin__Konstant

Hello everyone,

I have a strange problem with memory allocation/deallocation within OMP parallel block. Bellow there is a very basic program where I just perform allocation, initialization and deallocation of 2-dimensional array.

program test
implicit none
include 'omp_lib.h'
complex*16, allocatable, dimension(:,:) :: A
integer N

!N=2901
N=2902

!$OMP PARALLEL PRIVATE(A) SHARED(N)

allocate( A( 1:N, 1:N ) )
A = 0
deallocate( A )

!$OMP END PARALLEL
end

The code is compiled with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 17.0.4.210 [Intel(R) 64] in Visual Studio 2015 environment. The code is statically linked to run-time libraries (/libs:static /threads) and processing of OpenMP directives is enabled (/Qopenmp). I run the program in debug mode and monitor Private Working Set parameter in Task Manager.

When compile the program with N=2901, private working set shows that memory allocated within parallel block is not deallocated at the end of the program. When N=2902 the problem is gone. Also the problem cannot be observed when dynamically linking to run-time libraries.

I've tried this code on Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE 15.0.6.285 [Intel(R) 64] and everything is fine there.

I wonder if this behavior expected?

0 Kudos
0 Replies