Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28486 Discussions

Module variables in Debug Watch window

ferrad01
Beginner

In v9 and before, I have not been able to look at the value of a module variable in the debug watch window without having to prepend it with module_name:: Nor can I hover over the variable in the editor window to see its value. This is extremely irritating as I have to go searching the code to find out to which module the variable belongs which breaks my train of thought.

Has this serious limitation been fixed in v10 ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
In some cases, yes.
0 Kudos
ferrad01
Beginner
Which cases will it not work? Will I be able to look at the value without entering the module name?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I can't spell out when it will and will not work. I have seen it work in some cases and not in others. When it doesn't, you can type modname::varname into the watch window.
0 Kudos
ferrad01
Beginner

I know I can do this. My point is that it is a major disruption to me to have to search files to see the value of a variable. I expect to hover over a variable for 0.1 seconds to see a value and then move to another. I can see the values of 10 variables in a few seconds and keep my train of thought. If I have to search through 500 files for (a) the occurrence of the variable in that file, (b) look for the name of the module at the top of the file, and (c) retype the name of that module before the variable in the watch window, this process can take 30-60 secs. So looking at the values of 10 variable can take 5 minutes, which just breaks my train of thought.

I have upgraded to v10.1 in the hope of getting around this problem, but I experience exactly the same problem. There are no instances I have found so far where I can see the value of a variable without having to search through 500+ modules for the name to prepend with a :: SoI can't see that this has been fixed at all.

A large software group upstairs has not converted from CVF to Intel yet, and I was amazed during a recent debug session with them that this was perfectly possible in CVF, so it looks like this functionality was lost in the migration of CVF to Intel. It is not good that functionality like this is lost.

In fact it will be a strong incentive for me to not recommend that they upgrade to Intel. I have now returned to CVF for my debugging of their projects.

Since I pay for premier support, I will report it there as well, but to be honest, why this functionality was lost from CVF 6 to Intel 8 amazes me. And I am even more amazed that it hasn't been restored in v9 or v10.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If you have an example where a module variable, used in a routine that USEs the module, is not visible in the debugger, please send a test case to Intel Premier Support.

We did not deliberately drop a feature. The internal structure of the debug symbol generation code in Intel compilers is very different from that of the Compaq compilers and some functionality was missed in the transition.
0 Kudos