Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Multiline messages

Ted_Lillys
Beginner

I have small dialog project with an edit control into which I want to post formatted multi-line messages with place holders.  For example, a message might be:

6 Files were successfully loaded.

File Stub: (some string)

where bold text represent dynamic content. I tried write statements to a character variable with slashes (/) - that generates and error -forrtl: severe (27): too many records in I/O statement.  I thought of using a resource in a string table like "%n Files were successfully loaded.\nFile Stub: %s", but not sure how to use LoadString to supply the variables as arguments to fill in the % place holders.

Any suggestions?

Ted

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

Swap the char(..)'s

CRLF is char(13)//char(10)
LFCR is char(10)//char(13)

Generally from a console app (CMD window), the order of CR and LF does not matter.

Windows dialog box may be goofy in this respect.

Jim Dempsey

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Insert CR-LF pairs into the string where you want line breaks. (Use A format.) Internal I/O won't do this for you on record boundaries (that starts a new array element.) 

Ted_Lillys
Beginner

Thanks Doc. I tried a number of things but haven't been successful (and thick apparently). I've attached captures of the dialog, properties and results of a test

This was one attempt to create two strings and concatenate them in DlgSet().

character(len=max_name_length):: stub, tempstr1, tempstr2
write(tempstr1,'(i2," RWB Files Selected Successfully")') nfiles
write(tempstr2,'("File Stub:",A15)') TRIM(stub)
retlog = DlgSet(gdlg, IDC_EDIT_PROCESS_RESULTS,TRIM(tempstr1)//char(10)//char(13)//TRIM(tempstr2)//char(0))

The results for one test should be:

8 RWB Files Selected Successfully

File Stub:        LFNL_R4      

jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

Swap the char(..)'s

CRLF is char(13)//char(10)
LFCR is char(10)//char(13)

Generally from a console app (CMD window), the order of CR and LF does not matter.

Windows dialog box may be goofy in this respect.

Jim Dempsey

View solution in original post

Ted_Lillys
Beginner

Jim - thank you.  Definitely goofy.