Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28457 Discussions

My VS2010 Installation fails after 2017 Update 2

Ken2
Beginner

I presently have VS2010 Shell and VS2013 Shell installed and have been using the VS2010 shell for some compiles that have line scrolling issues in the newer versions, but after the latest update 2, VS2010 fails to load the solutions files.

I get a VS error box with the message "'c:\........\programname.vfproj' cannot be opened because it's project type (.vfproj) is not supported by this version of the application.  To open it, please use a version that supports this type of project". 

Why is this occurring and how can I correct this?  These are solution files that were compiled under VS2010 prior to the update 2 install and have not been recompiled or loaded with the newer version.  I had no issues using both versions before with update 1.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Read the release notes. 2010 is obsolete/not supported

You must have a version of Microsoft Visual Studio* installed to use the compiler.

The compiler integrates into the following versions of Microsoft Visual Studio*:

• Visual Studio* 2015

• Visual Studio* 2013

• Visual Studio* 2012

• Visual Studio* Shell 2013: If the installer does not find a supported version of Visual Studio, a Fortran-only development environment based on the Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Shell* is provided (Commercial and Academic licenses only.)

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Was PSXE 2017 Update 2 the first time you installed VS 2013 Shell or did you have any earlier PSXE 2017 w/VS 2013 Shell installed?

The error sounds like the integrations with VS 2010 Shell might have been removed. Do you see any Intel Fortran Compiler listed under Help > About for VS 2010 Shell?   If so when you click on it, what do the product details list for the Integration version?

You can have both shells installed simultaneously but not all PSXE/compiler versions will integrate with each as was noted.

I do not have Update 2 installed yet, but I do have VS 2010 Shell with PSXE 2015 Update 7 installed/integrated and VS 2013 Shell with PSXE 2017 Update 1 installed/integrated and I can successfully open a Fortran solution between the two without any error.

I will try installing Update 2 and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I did not experience any problems installing PSXE 2017 Update 2 into VS 2013 Shell. I can open the same solution between VS 2010 and VS 2013 as noted earlier. The integrations with VS 2010 were unchanged by this installation and the integrations with VS 2013 are the same version as those from Update 1, Version 17.0.0040.12.

If your integrations with VS 2010 Shell were removed, then you could try a modify/repair operation with PSXE 2015 release you have installed to see if those can be re-installed. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

See this article for details on how to handle this.

0 Kudos
Ken2
Beginner

Yes, the FORTRAN integration has been removed from the VS2010 Shell.   With Update 1, I had VS2013 and VS2010 both integrated and working fine.  The install for update 2 seems to have changed this.  One thing I noticed now is that I seem to have both the VS2013 integrated and the isolated shells installed.  I'm not sure if that is normal with the VS2013 install or not.  But VS2013 seems to work fine. 
I still notice on Windows 7 systems that the last line scroll issue is still occurring with update 2, but is fine in Windows 10.  Before in Windows 7 using VS2010 with IFV 2016 did not occur.  So I would like to get this integration back.  I do have my hard drive backed up on another drive so I could copy the folders back(if you can tell me which folders to copy) as long as there are no registry changes required.  I'm not sure what all is required for the integration.  So what do you guys think would be the easiest fix for this?

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Yes, both VS2013 integrated/isolated being installed is expected. To try restoring the integrations with VS2010 Shell you can follow Steve’s advice in the earlier referenced article. To summarize those steps:

1. Locate the “Intel Fortran” folder: <Program Files>\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0 for VS2010 on your system. This contains the integration components for VS2010 Shell for Intel Fortran.  If this is not present then you could try finding this folder on your back up drive and restoring only that on your current drive.
2. Follow Step 3 "Repair the Integration" as shown in Troubleshooting Fortran Integration Issues with Visual Fortran for restoring integrations for VS 2010.

After completing step 2 above, start VS2010 shell and see whether you can open a Fortran project.

I’m not finding background information about the scrolling issue so perhaps you can raise that in a separate post once you overcome the integration issue.

0 Kudos
Ken2
Beginner

Well sadly my backup already had the update also.  I was forced to remove VS2010 and reinstall from 2013 version update 6 I had.  That seems to have fixed the problem.  Why did update 2 cause this issue, and not update 1 I don't know.  It should have only updated VS2013 installation.  Is this type of issue caused by Intel or Microsoft?

Thanks everyone for your help. 

0 Kudos
Ken2
Beginner

The scrolling issue was a posting I made some time back that Steve addressed.  I will follow up on that later in a separate post.  I agree it should not go here.  Thanks again for the help.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The way the install works is that the VS integration is its own installable component. A new version first removes the old one and then installs the new one. The uninstall of the old one removes all integrations, including in versions no longer supported. The article I linked above explains how to handle this if you want to keep multiple VS versions going with different compiler versions.

0 Kudos