Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Need an advice on programming graphic using either Visual Fortran or Visual C/C+

Haroon_B_1
Beginner

Dear All,

I have a project on fluid flow with graphics on. I am looking forward to continue developing the solver part in Fortran but the UI with a graphic console in mixed language form. I just need an advice that which one of the following two options is better;

1. Solver in Fortran and as well as the UI with graphics console in Visual Fortran
  2. Solver is Fortran but with a wrapper in Visual C/C+ for UI and graphics console. The main program in Visual C/C+ calls the Fortran solver libraries in dll.

The graphic console must plot planner meshed surfaces with contours, and pan/tilt/zoom capability.

I asked the same question from a experienced programmer and he suggests to opt for the option 1. As per him the mixed language programming is doable but its complex. I do not have a much experience of programming in Visual C/C+ and for this purpose I would definitely hire a developer. 

Option 1 seems easier with lesser investment required. However, I just don't know if it can be really beneficial to ignore Visual C/C+ in terms of graphics and UI capabilities for times to come.

Please let me know the pros and cons. I thank you in anticipation.

Kind Regards,

HA

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Probably the question you should ask first is: what graphics software system do you know? Either of the approaches you describe can work, but if you do the graphics from Fortran you have a different set of APIs to work with. OpenGL, QuickWin and the Windows API are all available from Intel Fortran. If you are open to commercial packages, GINOmenu and Winteracter are popular choices.

If you are comfortable doing the UI in MSVC, then by all means do that and put the computation in Fortran - that's a popular choice.

0 Kudos
Rodrigues__Pedro
Beginner

HI

I also work with fluid flow (CFD) and I am working with Winteracter. I work with this GUI for more than 10 years and my advice is to us it. It is the best choice you to do something very good.

0 Kudos
rase
New Contributor I

I am working with Winteracter for more than 10 years, too. I fully agree with P. R. that Winteracter is a very good choice for Fortran users. You can get versions for 32 and 64 bit adressing.

0 Kudos
Greg_T_
Valued Contributor I

For our finite element analysis (FEA) fracture mechanics software I am using C# for the GUI with the mesh graphics, which calls several Fortran DLLs.  It works very well as a mixed language program for the GUI to call the Fortran DLLs for mesh generation, solution, and post processing to get the results by passing arrays of values.  A good choice for the graphics in C# for me has been using the ILNumerics library: http://ilnumerics.net/

Another possibility, especially for C++, is VTK (the visualization tool kit): http://www.vtk.org/

Regards,
Greg Thorwald

0 Kudos
Haroon_B_1
Beginner

Thanks a lot to Lionel, PR, rase, and Thorwald for the valuable inputs. Indeed working with the software ILNumerics and Winteracter looks promising. I will test the trial versions and will make a decision.

Regards,

0 Kudos