Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

New Version of an old Project?

GWats1
New Contributor I

Sorry for the dumb question.  I've got a working EXE compiled with around 4 modules and I want to revise one of the FOR code modules and make a new Project.

What is the easiest way to make a new project with a new name for the EXE and keep 3 out of the 4 with the same modules that were working? I just barely know my way around the Visual Studio 2017 environment. I was going to copy the one FOR file that I was going to work on to add a different method of checking anchor bolts for bending stress and call it a new name.

I did take a stab at File>New> Fortran Project from existing Code but got lost when it asked for a folder.  

I'm so old I learned Fortran IV in 1968 and still try to write code to do steel design for myself.   

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Just copy the folder with the solution/project files to a new folder, then open the solution in the new folder. You can rename the project. If the sources didn't come along (say, if you referenced them from somewhere else), you can replace the specific source file with a modified copy.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BearofLittleBrain1
New Contributor I

I am unsure that I am the best person to answer your query, because I am also just getting back to Fortran after a number of years out, having previously used Compaq Visual Fortran.  So I am feeling my way around Visual Studio which like almost everything nowadays does not have a helpful user guide.  I found

Intel Fortran Compiler Classic and Intel Fortran Compiler Developer Guide and Reference

at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/fortran-compiler-oneapi-dev-guide-and-reference/top/program-structure/using-module-mod-files.html

However, it was not much use to me.  As usual, it was written by an expert and will only become completely intelligible when I don't need it anymore.

I think you are on the right path with File > New> Fortran Project.  Call it something different from the old Project name, file location as for the old one, add to solution and it will create new directories where it will put the .Debug & Release .exe files.

I am sure someone will correct me if I have got it wrong.

It's interesting to come across .for files - in 2003 I amended and improved a program by Michael Metcalfe of CERN to convert .for files to .f90 - I  must revive it some time.

I haven't even got as far as reviving old programs - I have spent a couple of weeks recompiling my old user library files, all 17,000 lines of them, but am not quite there yet.

On the geriatric side, I wrote my first Fortran program in 1961 on an IBM1620 (I think) and am planning to go to the letchley Park computer museum to look at it and its successors.  It's not far away

I would be happy to correspond with you directly if you would like that, but perhaps the administrators of the Forum can help.

Bearof LittleBrain

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Just copy the folder with the solution/project files to a new folder, then open the solution in the new folder. You can rename the project. If the sources didn't come along (say, if you referenced them from somewhere else), you can replace the specific source file with a modified copy.

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

Thanks Dr. Fortran, I'll try that out.

0 Kudos