Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Numerical exception in Fortran 2019 causes application exit

van_der_Merwe__Ben1

In Intel Fortran 2019 update 5, we note that code such as this:

aSTension = 673.7 * ((aTcrR-aBNTempR)/aTcrR)**1.232

where "((aTcrR-aBNTempR)/aTcrR)" is a small negative number can cause an application to just exit. I may be mistaken, but I do not think it happend with Intel Fortran 2016, or maybe a flag or default was changed.

Is there a flag or setting to inhibit floating point exceptions in Intel Fortran 2019?  A "Just carry on! Do not kill my entire large program because of one issue" setting. We do have a top level exception handlers, but it does not seem to get hit by this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
van_der_Merwe__Ben1

Out relevant compile flags are: /fp:source /warn:nofileopt /align:rec1byte /check:bounds /traceback
/check:uninit /check:pointers /iface:mixed_str_len_arg /check:bounds /debug:full /warn:declarations /check:uninit /auto /Qdiag-error:6717 /compile_only /dll /threads /assume:byterecl /libs:dll

If I change the code to intentionally do a pow on a negative number it simply generates a NaN, as I would expect. Odd. Maybe it was a denormalized number causing it?

if anyone has seen anything like this, please let me know.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

What kind of exception? The default setting is -fpe3 that produces infinities, NaNs and denorms. But exponentiation is done in a library routine and it might not honor this (I am not sure.)

An application should not "just exit" - you should get a distinct error message and possibly a traceback, depending on how it was built. Can you construct a small test case that demonstrates the issue?

0 Kudos
van_der_Merwe__Ben1

I shall investigate and try and track this down more.

0 Kudos