Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

OPEN function failing in Japanese OS

Mohanasundaram__Bala

When file is located inside a folder name with Japanese character, INQUIRE / OPEN fails when called only with file name. They work fine when using full path. This issue is only in Japanese OS. Chinese and other OS works fine. C calls are working fine (_access, CreateFile, etc.) 

Any suggestions to resolve this?

Sample Code:

program ExampleFOR
    USE IFPORT
    implicit none
    CHARACTER(260) CMD, FName, FulPath
    INTEGER(4) ISTATUS
    LOGICAL exists

ISTATUS = GETCWD(CMD)  ! 
    INQUIRE(DIRECTORY=CMD, EXIST=exists)   ! PASS

FNAME = 'A.TXT'
    INQUIRE(FILE=FNAME, EXIST=exists)    !  FAIL

FulPath = TRIM(CMD)//'\'//TRIM(FNAME)
    INQUIRE(FILE=FulPath, EXIST=exists)   ! PASS
end program ExampleFOR

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

Check the Intel Fortran compiler documentation on using the National Language Support Library. Your failure is probably due to the multi-byte character set needed for Japanese.

This sample routine demonstrates what you will need to do, I think.

subroutine test_file_open(filename,len)
USE IFNLS
integer :: len
!DIR$ ATTRIBUTES VALUE :: len
integer(2)::filename(len) ! array contains the Unicode file name
integer(4):: res
character*100:: ffname
res = MBConvertUnicodeToMB(filename,ffname) ! do the conversion, return the result string
length
write(*,*) ffname(1:res)
open (8, file=ffname(1:res), action='WRITE') ! pass result MB string to OPEN statement
write (8,*) 'Testing file writing'
close (8)
end subroutine

Mohanasundaram__Bala

Thanks for looking into this. But in my case, names are already handled as Multibyte (not Unicode).

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

I've seen issues in the past with the I/O library having difficulty with files in paths that have multibyte/Unicode characters. I thought that had been fixed a while ago - which compiler version are you using? If it is current (19.0.2), I recommend that you submit this through the Intel Online Service Center.

Mohanasundaram__Bala

We are using 15.0.0127.12

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Please try a newer version then. That is more than four years old and may still have the bug.

Mohanasundaram__Bala

I tried this in IVF 19.0 and it is working correctly. Thanks.