Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

PSXE2018 change to compilervars.bat?

dajum
Novice

executing

"C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2018.0.124\windows\bin\compilervars.bat" intel64

under PSXE2018 now results in the current directory being changed from where the command was issued to in my case c:\users\dave\source

Why is this?  Is it possible to get this changed back to not affecting the current directory? This didn't happen in any previous version.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

I'm not seeing that behavior. Are you typing this command into a command prompt window, or are you using a shortcut?

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Steve>"C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2018.0.124\windows\bin\compilervars.bat" intel64

Intel(R) MPI Library 2018 for Windows* Target Build Environment for Intel(R) 64 applications
Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Copyright (C) 1985-2017 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel(R) Compiler 18.0 (package 124)

** Visual Studio 2017 Developer Command Prompt v15.0.26730.16
** Copyright (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation
[vcvarsall.bat] Environment initialized for: 'x64'

C:\Users\Steve>

dajum
Novice

Well we did it in code, and also in a command prompt.  Be we did start on the D: in both cases.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\dave>d:

D:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2018.0.124\windows\bin\compilervars.bat" intel64

Intel(R) MPI Library 2018 for Windows* Target Build Environment for Intel(R) 64 applications

** Visual Studio 2017 Developer Command Prompt v15.0.26730.15

C:\Users\dave\source>

Steve_Lionel

It doesn't do that for me.

D:\>
D:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2018.0.124\windows\bin\compilervars.bat" intel64

** Visual Studio 2017 Developer Command Prompt v15.0.26730.16

D:\>

I can't see any command in the Intel or Microsoft files that would do this.

mecej4
Black Belt

Steve, please see the Visual Studio 2017 batch file <VS17_dir>\Common7\Tools\vsdevcmd\core\vsdevcmd_end.bat

if "%VSCMD_START_DIR%" NEQ "" (
    cd /d "%VSCMD_START_DIR%"
) else (
    if EXIST "%USERPROFILE%\Source" (
        cd /d "%USERPROFILE%\Source"
    )
)

dajum
Novice

Is there an easy way to get all the bat files to echo what they are doing?

I haven't modified any of the PSXE files or the VS files.  And I have no clue how it gets to the source folder.

BTW I got a case submitted for the compiler crash this morning.  Took them 3 days to figure out how to let me login.  But no word on the crash yet.

Steve_Lionel

mecej4 wrote:

Steve, please see the Visual Studio 2017 batch file <VS17_dir>\Common7\Tools\vsdevcmd\core\vsdevcmd_end.bat

if "%VSCMD_START_DIR%" NEQ "" (
    cd /d "%VSCMD_START_DIR%"
) else (
    if EXIST "%USERPROFILE%\Source" (
        cd /d "%USERPROFILE%\Source"
    )
)

Huh - I missed that. Fascinating. Sure enough, if there is a Source subfolder of your profile's default directory, the VS2017 setup moves you there. That's not nice.....

dajum
Novice

Steve,

We sort of fixed it by putting the calls to compilervars in a wrapper that saves the current directory and then restores it. It will work, but as you say it's not nice.

Not sure why I have a Source directory either.  I'm guessing MS added it sometime, because I know I didn't. But seems you don't so that is also a puzzle.

Thanks for the help mecej4!

Dave

mecej4
Black Belt

You could fool the vsdevcmd_end.bat script by setting the environment variable VSCMD_START_DIR to ".", i.e., a period, without the quotes, in the Environment Variables control panel of Windows, if you do not fear that doing so will derail something else.