Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28385 Discussions

Parallel Studio XE 2018: Unable to select Intel Fortran 16.0 Compiler in Visual Studio 2017 15.4.1

Nathan_K_
Beginner

The following webpage indicates that from Visual Studio 2017 we should be able to select older versions of the Intel Fortran compilers (back to the 14.0 version) after installing Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 for Windows:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-older-intel-visual-fortran-versions-in-different-microsoft-visual-studio-versions

However, from the Tools > Intel Compilers and Tools Visual Fortran > Compilers options page, we are only able to select the following versions of the compiler:

• Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 18.0.0.124 [IA-32]
  • Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 17.0.4.210 [IA-32]

We need to be able to select the 16.0 version of the Intel Fortran compiler because the newer versions of the compiler are not able to compile legacy versions of our code base.

I have the following versions of Intel Fortran installed:

• Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 3
  • Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 4 Composer Edition
  • Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 4 Composer Edition
  • Intel Parallel Studio XE 2018

I am using the following version of Visual Studio 2017:

Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2017

Version 15.4.1

VisualStudio.15.Release/15.4.1+27004.2005

I am using the following Visual Studio Fortran integration:

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows*   Package ID: w_comp_lib_2018.0.124

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2017, Version 18.0.0033.15

My OS is Windows 10 Enterprise.

I do not have Visual Studio 2015 (or previous versions) installed.

How do I select the Intel Fortran 16.0 compiler in Visual Studio 2017?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The install text refers generically to the VS integration for all supported VS versions (2013, 2015, 2017). Compiler 16.0 still works in VS2013 and VS2015. If that text tried to explain the various combinations, it would be unreadable.

The basic point is that there's no magic in the PSXE2017 install that adds VS2017 support to the 16.0 compiler. The VS versions that worked with the 16.0 compiler will continue to work after you install PSXE2017. (It used to be that such an install would remove support from no-longer-supported VS versions, but that got fixed a few versions back.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That's correct - compilers older than 17.0.4 don't support VS2017. Read https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-xe-compilers-required-microsoft-visual-studio

0 Kudos
Nathan_K_
Beginner

Steve,

The document that you linked to is incorrect or has not been updated. The latest version of Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017, Update 4, does NOT support Visual Studio 2017 15.4.1. See post:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/742726

You have to install Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 if you are using Visual Studio 2017 15.4.1 in order to get the Visual Studio IDE to recognize Fortran projects.

The Intel document I linked to in the original post indicates that we should be able to select compilers back to 14.0 in VS2017 if we have Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 installed and did not uninstall the old Fortan compiler. In that document I am looking at he caption above the screen capture that shows the compilers options dialog. The caption states "Microsoft Visual Studio 2017, 2015, 2013 and 2012" 

Perhaps that document should be updated as well, but I do think we should be able to choose the 16.0 compiler in VS2017 as long as there is Visual Studio integration installed that works.

nate

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I wrote the document you linked to initially and did not intend to suggest you could select old compilers that didn't support the VS version you are using. I can see how this could be misinterpreted if you didn't follow the link in the first paragraph.

17.0.4 did support the original VS2017 release, but a subsequent update from Microsoft broke that, requiring Intel to release 17.0.5 (and another 18.0 update.)

0 Kudos
Nathan_K_
Beginner

Steve, thank you for clarifying the intentions of your document about selecting older Fortran compiler versions.

However, I am not ready to give up on this quite yet. The documentation and installation prompts I have encountered are extremely misleading if I am not able to select the Fortran 16.0 compiler from Visual Studio 2017.

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 5 was made available today (10/25/2017). I installed Update 5; the installer did recognize Visual Studio 2017 (15.4.1) and the Fortran integration installed okay.

During the installation of  Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 5 I got this dialog:

Pre-requisite Issues Summary

Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 16.0 Integrations(s) in Microsoft Visual Studio* is already installed.

If you proceed to install, the Intel Visual Fortran Composer 16.0 IDE integration(s) will be uninstalled and the Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 5 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* IDE integration will be installed. You will no longer be able to select 14.0 or older Intel Visual Fortran Compilers from the Vissual Studio IDE. You will still be able to select 15.0 or newer Intel Visual Fortran Compilers if they are installed.

I have attached a word document that contains a screen capture of this dialog.

Is the Pre-requisite Issues Summary dialog incorrect?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The install text refers generically to the VS integration for all supported VS versions (2013, 2015, 2017). Compiler 16.0 still works in VS2013 and VS2015. If that text tried to explain the various combinations, it would be unreadable.

The basic point is that there's no magic in the PSXE2017 install that adds VS2017 support to the 16.0 compiler. The VS versions that worked with the 16.0 compiler will continue to work after you install PSXE2017. (It used to be that such an install would remove support from no-longer-supported VS versions, but that got fixed a few versions back.)

0 Kudos
Nathan_K_
Beginner

Thank you, I've got it, finally. Lesson learned: never believe in magic.

0 Kudos