Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Post your forum usage comments and questions here

Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

If you have a question or comment about this forum implementation, please post a reply here. We don't pretend to have everything perfect from the start - let us know what we need to work on. Thanks.

Steve

0 Kudos
25 Replies
jackosullivan
Beginner
Well, Steve, either you really lucked out - ;) - and you now have jackosullivan as your first visitor, or your new forum doesn't work right. No other messages are visible besides the first two instructionals you posted.

If I truly am the first, I am honored. It is certainly reassuring to have The Steve making the transition to Intel land. Thanks so much for all of your efforts in putting together and holding together the Visual Fortran community. Best of luck and, of course ...

God bless!
Jack
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You claim "first post!" rights, Jack. Welcome!

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Finally got on via W98/IE6

Cannot make Netscape 6.1/6.2 work. I think cookies and
java are enabled, other sites requiring these work.

Good luck in the new forum and I look forward to the
community discussions as a revitalised Fortran user

Don
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Seems as though there is a Proxy issue. This access is via
Netscape 6.2 but direct and not via a proxy.

A local issue with proxy settings that makes the Intel page
rather more fussy I suspect. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Don Philp

ps The message writer does not show a cursor position??
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Doh, it's unfair -- it was 6 or 7 PM in Europe at the time and I had left my job already :-). Or should I have worked longer?

In any case, the first impression is fine -- we'll see how it works in the future.

Having noted they use brackets instead of <>. Well, let's play a little to see if it works :-):

[font color="#008000"]!Comment
!Comment

Bah, it seems not. Besides, I noticed that Preview/Post buttons don't work anymore if I click on "Stop" before the message is gone; I had to go back and forward.

Jugoslav
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
First of all, it's not HTML, even with square brackets instead of angle brackets. These are HTML-like tags in square brackets - b, i, u, pre and url, with corresponding closing tags /b, etc. (I'd try to show what they really look like, but they'd get interpreted - I'm trying to find a way around that.) I note that the tag must be in lowercase. The url tag is sort of like the HTML A tag, where you can say (pretend the angle brackets here are square brackets):

Intel home page

This will appear as:

Intel home page

Code you just bracket in pre and /pre. Note the buttons above the compose window for bold, italic, underline, preformatted and URL - these insert the tags and then you type the text as desired.

No font size or color - sorry.

Steve
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I don't understand your comments regarding a proxy server. I'm accessing through a proxy server.

Send me a screen shot to steve.lionel@intel.com so that I can see what you're referring to.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Steve,

I just tried to reply to a post about Help Authoring, but the forum started a new thread with my message.

I clicked on the Reply 'button' in the first post of the thread.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
It seems to work OK now. I think it happens when your 'reply' is interrupted by the log-in request.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
This happens when it shows you as "Guest" and you click reply. It's a bug which is being fixed. If this happens to you, when you see the "post new topic page" come up, get out of it by clicking on the forum name link at the top of the page. Then go back to the topic and click reply again. I'll move errant entries. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Steve
0 Kudos
maria14
Novice
Steve,

Please move my entry which is under 'Return Values and Output Arguments' to 'COM DLL Question'.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Done. This is as much a nuisance for me as it is for you folks - it should be fixed soon. Sorry...

Also, the system isn't supposed to forget you've logged in after 20 minutes or so - we're working on that.

Steve
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Also, e-mail notification of watched threads does not seem to work.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ah, watches. That's one thing I never tried. I think it's because the forum doesn't know your e-mail address. The way they have this set up involves a "handshake" between the external forum host and Intel Developer Services which handles the login. It seems that that information isn't being passed - if you look at your profile, the e-mail address is blank.

I'll find out what needs to be done to get this to work.... Thanks for pointing this out.

Steve
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
E-mail notifications now almost work -- but the URL in the message is wrong:
This is extra----------------------v
http://intel.forums.liveworld.com/intel/thread.jsp?forum=76&thread=530

I'd say that I prefer the old (Compaq) way to receive entire answer so I can keep my own archive but I guess that's the price of the progress.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The watch URL problem should now be fixed.

Also, everyone should go to their profile (click on your username and then "Edit Profile") and choose whether or not your e-mail address should be visible to others. For those who have logged in over the past day or so, you will find that this setting is set to "yes". This may change soon - the profile in this forum is not the same as the Intel Developer Services profile...

And one more thing - you'll note that you can now attach files to messages. There is a size limit and only selected file types can be attached (no EXEs, for example). Please reply here if there are any problems with this.

Steve
0 Kudos
isn-removed200637
Why do my lines of entered text appear twice as long across the screen as yours and so extend off-screen when viewing it normally? When I edited my text in the spell-checker, it text was presented to me in a narrower box than the one it was finally displayed inside. I thought automatic wrapping to acceptable width would occur, except for code included between pre and /pre
tags?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
When you have a long preformatted line, the width of the "cell" is extended and the wrap margin for non-preformatted lines extended as well. I admit it looks strange but am not sure what the alternative would be.

Perhaps what you need to do is try to keep the code lines short so as to avoid overly wide posts.

Steve
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It looks as if the bug where, if you're a Guest and do a Reply, after logging in it takes you to New Post, has been fixed. Hooray! We're still working on getting it so that you stay logged in if you've said "remember me".

Steve
0 Kudos
david_jones
Beginner
A minor point only ... would it be possible to provide an easy way to go to the end of a thread. That is, a "bottom of page" at the top, to correspond to the "top of page" at the bottom.

David Jones
0 Kudos