Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28454 Discussions

Problem installing Intel Fortran 2015

Jon_D
New Contributor I

Hello,

I am trying to install the latest version of Intel Fortran on my brand new computer but the installer appears to get stuck at a point where it says "Starting pre_install.js". Any ideas? I have installed different versions of Intel Fortran many times in the past but never had this issue before. I have 64bit Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2010 Professional installed. I also installed .NET Framework 4.0 according to the installation instructions. I also have Java installed.

Thanks for any help.

Jon

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Jon_D
New Contributor I

Never mind. I had to wait long enough (about 30 minutes) for the installer to pass that point.

Jon

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Sorry that you ran into a problem - I'm not sure what would have caused it.

0 Kudos
Jacob_Williams
New Contributor I

FYI: I had the same thing happen to me recently when installing on a new PC.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I'm aware that there is a step if you are missing some Microsoft component that it will install it silently - unfortunately this takes a long time and we don't have the ability to give feedback about it. I will mention this to the developers and see if there is anything they can do.

0 Kudos
Stefan_P_1
Beginner

We had a similar problem. The installer was getting stuck checking the existing license files (had 9.1 and 12.1 installed, and the licenses were expired). Once installing manually the .lic file pointing to the floating license server, we were able to go past that step and complete the installation.

0 Kudos
Matheus_D_
Beginner

Same is happening here. It takes a long time to load this part, and then when I choose "Evaluation only" in the license options it also stops. I closed it because I thought that it could be an error, but now I am again trying to load it. I hope it is only the normal process, since I have been trying to install it for approximately one hour already.

---Edit---

Okay, I relaunched the application and waited some 20 minutes until the installer finally passed the "starting pre_install.js", and then it did no get stuck in the licensing part.

0 Kudos
Jacob_Williams
New Contributor I

Waiting for "Starting pre_install.js" is also happening with the new 2016 installer.  30 minutes and counting...

0 Kudos
mfoetsch
Beginner

Same for us with 2016. Disabling antivirus and/or unplugging the network cable seemed to do the trick to jump over the "chklic.exe" hanging as a child process of the installer that let it stuck.

Still a pain this installer :-(

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I'm sorry to hear about the continued problems related to the installer.

I did find that we have an existing open internal tracking id (noted below) about the Windows installer for the previous PSXE 2015 release freezing in the "pre_install.js" stage.  It looks to be applicable to PSXE 2016 also. Some notes indicate the most time consuming aspect of this stage is checking license files. It mentions two things to look at:

1. If you are using a license server (floating licenses shared between several hosts), please go to <Program files>\Common Files\Intel\Licenses, find a file USE_SERVER and make sure that all servers listed in this file are accessible.
  2. Saving the current contents of <Program files>\Common Files\Intel\Licenses, removing the original directory’s content and restarting the installation.

I asked our Installation Developers whether gathering any installation logs from either of you is needed to further analyze and understand the root cause of the delay. If so then I will let each of you know.

For now, I noted this forum thread in the internal tracking record so we can update this thread with any develops regarding this issue and a resolution.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200561258)

0 Kudos
Nathan_K_
Beginner

This is still an issue. I encountered this issue with the Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 1 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Installation. The installation hangs on the splash screen "Starting pre_install.js." In task manager I see intermittent activity with chklic.exe. 

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Yes, unfortunately the issue can still occur with the latest PSXE 2016 Update 1, but there is some good news. Our Development team believes the root cause has been identified and involves a defect with the 3rd party license product incorporated into our product. I do not have a time estimate on when the fix will be available but I will keep you and others updated as I learn more.

0 Kudos
Matthew_S_3
Beginner

Unplugging the network cable / disconnecting from WiFi just when it hits "Starting pre_install.js" makes it go right past that step quickly.  Then I used WiFi again during the licensing part.  Otherwise, I was having the same issue everyone noted on Parallel Studio XE 2016 hanging.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Thank you for your post Matthew S, and I'm sorry to hear you are also impacted. I do not have any updated status at this moment regarding the fix that I mentioned earlier, but, I will post to this thread once I learn something.

0 Kudos
Haitham_Y_
Beginner

I had the same problem and when I deleted the file USE_SERVER the installation program worked just fine.

0 Kudos