Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28447 Discussions

Problem on installation of Intel Fortran Compiler 11.1.073 for Linux to Ubuntu Linux 11.04

Tetsuro_Kikuchi
Beginner
Hello.

I would like to install 'Intel Fortran Compiler Professional Edition 11.1.073 for Linux' to my workstation which works with Ubuntu 11.04 as an OS.

Whenthe installation was proceeded, the following message appeared:

"Lack of option requirements:
- Java JRE 5.0 (1.5.0) is not found in this system.
- An unsupported operating system was detected. (Supported version for Ubuntu: 9.04.)
- Version of glibc/kernel in the system is not supported, or glib/kernel is not detected."

And finally, installation of the compiler components, i.e., Intel Fortran Compiler and Debugger for Intel 64, and Intel Math Kernel Libraries for IA-32 and Intel 64, failed.
Could you advise me how to overcome this problem and complete installation successfully?

Kind regards,

Tetsuro
0 Kudos
13 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
Please see this article about the prerequisites that must be satisfied in order for an installation of IFort to succeed on Ubuntu Linux. A quick check on some of the prerequisites is to test that you can compile and run a short C/C++ program on your machine. If that fails, the installation of IFort will probably fail as well.
0 Kudos
Tetsuro_Kikuchi
Beginner
Thank you for your reply.

According to your suggestion, I have installed the following prerequisites which had not been installed yet:

- rpm
- ia32-libs
(I had already installed gcc, g++ and libstdc++.so.5 (both for 32 bit and 64 bit) previously.)

Then I tried to install the complier, but itfailed with the same error message as previously.
Could you advise me what to do to complete installation?

I have also tried to install Java JRE 6, which is needed to install if one use Intel IDB graphical debugger, althoughthe installation have notcompleted with several difficulties.And I also doubt that the installation of Java JRE is necessary for installation of the complier.
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
If the installer complains about not having GLIBC, try

rpm -qa glibc

Intel does not support Ubuntu, but some notes are available:

intel-compilers-linux-installation-help

I do not have Ubuntu and I cannot respond to your comment about JRE not being needed.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You haven't said how it failed; you have quoted only warning messages. Obviously, your versions of the prerequisites are newer than any which were available during testing of this compiler.
I believe you're correct that JRE prerequisite applies only to idb, and this warning is almost guaranteed to come up with any jre version which wasn't tested during compiler development, yet it may work perfectly.
Your chances on a brand new OS may be better with a current version of ifort; at least you would avoid the dependency on legacy C++ libraries.
0 Kudos
Tetsuro_Kikuchi
Beginner
Thank you for your advices.

I have tried installation of the compiler after running the command "rpm -qa glibc", but the installation failed again with the same error message I have reported for the first time (Iwas not also sure whether the command "rpm -qa glibc" has worked correctly.)

I have followed the installation steps written in the article "Using Intel compilers for Linux with Ubuntu" (http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-compilers-for-linux-with-ubuntu/). Thesteps I have doneby noware summarized below.

The executables 'gcc'and 'g++', whose versions are both 4:4.5.2-1ubuntu3,have been already installed to the OS as default.'build-essential' (version 11.5ubuntu1) has also been installed as default.

TheOS I use is a 64 bit system. So I downloaded libstdc++5 deb packages for both amd64 and i386, whose versions are both1:3.3.6-21ubuntu1, andinstalled them. The 64bit 'libstdc++.so.5' librarywas installedin /usr/lib which is linked to /usr/lib64. The i386 package was downloaded to/tmp directory. Then I used dpkg to extract the contents to the temp directory, manually copied the library to /usr/lib32 and created the symbolic link.

I moved to the compiler installation directory and run ./install.sh.The installation failed with the error message I have reported for the first time.

I installed 'rpm' (version 4.8.1-6ubuntu1) and 'ia32-libs' (version 20090808ubuntu13). I have also tried to install Java JRE 6 ('openjdk-6-jre', version 6b22-1.10.1-0ubuntu1), although I have notfinished the installation because the related packages could not have been installed.

I tried again to install the compiler by running ./install.sh. The installation failed with the same error message as for the first time.

By the way, when Isearched the existing 'glibc' files in my system, the following three files were detected.

- glibc2.m4 (file type: M4 macro; location: /usr/share/aclocal)
- glibc21.m4 (File type and location are both same as 'glibc2.m4'.)
- glibc.7.gz (file type: Gzip archive; location: /usr/share/man/man7. This file links to 'libc.7.gz', which is located in the same directory.)
0 Kudos
Ron_Green
Just follow the silent installation procedure instead:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-compilers-for-linux-version-111-silent-installation-guide/

Your version of Ubuntu is too new for an old compiler released last summer. In particular, the glibc is too new and is not recognized. The silent installation will not check and will install.

Then, will it work? No guarantees since 11.04 is unsupported by that 11.1.073 version. But I suspect it will work.

ron
0 Kudos
Tetsuro_Kikuchi
Beginner
Thank you very much, Mr. Green.

According to the silent installation guide you told, I firstly made a silent install INI file ('my_silent_config.ini') in the directory where the compiler package were untarred (/home/jesc/l_cprof_p_11.1.073) using the text editor as follows:

ACTIVATION=exist_lic
CONTINUE_WITH_INSTALLDIR_OVERWRITE=yes
CONTINUE_WITH_OPTIONAL_ERROR=yes
PSET_INSTALL_DIR=/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/073
INSTALL_MODE=NONRPM
ACCEPT_EULA=accept

Then, I became root and run the following command in the terminal:

./install.sh --silent /home/jesc/l_cprof_p_11.1.073/my_silent_config.ini

But it also failed with the following error message:

Intel Fortran Compiler for applications running on IA-32 component
installation failed.
Intel Fortran Compiler for applications running on Intel 64 component
installation failed.
Intel Debugger for applications running on Intel 64 component
installation failed.
Intel MKL for applications running on IA-32 component installation failed.
Intel MKL for applications running on Intel 64 component installation
failed.

Do you have any solution for this problem?
The license file is located in /opt/intel/licenses directory.
0 Kudos
Ron_Green
I will have to try that, I'll install an Ubuntu 11.04 system in my lab. Currently I only have 10.10.

Check your license file - is there an expiration date? Your compiler has to be older than any expiration date in your license file.

ron
0 Kudos
Tetsuro_Kikuchi
Beginner
Thank you very much, Mr. Green.

Could you also tell me how to check the expiration date? I couldn't open my license file because the appropriate program for opening .lic files would have not probably been installed in my operating system yet.

Tetsuro
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
The .lic file is a plain text file, and can be typed at the console using cat, or opened using any text editor (vi, kate, gedit, etc.). Please see the warning note at the top of the forum concerning posting private information.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The term "expiration date" here is not quite correct. Unless you have a trial license, the license itself does not expire. However, support services do expire which is what Ron was referring to. You would look in the .lic file for a string that looks like 2011.0524 - this is the year, month and day the support services expire. You can run any compiler built on or before that date, forever.

However, I don't see anything so far to suggest a license issue.
0 Kudos
Tetsuro_Kikuchi
Beginner
Thank you very much, everyone.

I have not known that we candownload the updated versions of products atIntel Registration Center web site... I coulddownload the latest version of the compiler, Intel Composer XE 2011 (Update 4), and get it installed in my OS successfully.

I apologize for losing your time by considering my problem.
0 Kudos
Andreas_Hoffie
Beginner
Dear All,
I have installed 11.4 (ifort and icc) on Ubuntu 11.04 and just ignored the warning "unsupported OS". I think I chose "continue installation without the recommended pre-requisites" and everything works fine so far.
I do have some issues with mixed language programming but I will post that question in another thread.
Thanks.
Andreas
0 Kudos