Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Problems with WinprintDirect

reidar
New User

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Wow - that's old. My guess then would be that you encountered a compiler bug related to uninitialized variable checking. In that case I suggest just disabling that option in the project properties (under Fortran > Run-Time) and forget about it.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Steve_Lionel

No problems? Great! :-)

reidar
New User

Hi Steve,

I du not understand what happened, why my text disappeared. Anyway  I describe it once again: I have used the Winprint_Direct successfully in the days of QVF. I also apply the IVF version successfully with a IVF Win32 application. I am now migrating a QWin CVF application to Qwin IVF. When I compile the WinPrint_Direct file I get the message:

C:\CALC\CaFeMS\LIB-filer\WinPrint_Direct_A.f90(240): warning #7799: %LOC is being stripped from argument which has REFERENCE and IGNORE_LOC attributes. [HPRINTER]

However, the program can be linked and run. But when I print a file, the program crashes with the following message: forrtl: severe(193): Run-Rime Check Failure. The variable '_WINPRINT_DIRECT_mp_PPRINT_DIRECT$PRINT_DIRECT' is being used without being defined.

The program breaks at the last line:

end function Print_Direct

What can it be? A missing definition of a variable, how to fix, I tried to apply just "end function", but without success..

I just mention that the sample program WinPrint_Direct works as intended..

mecej4
Black Belt

Steve Lionel (Ret.) wrote:
 No problems? Great! :-) 

Steve, he probably posted his problem report using WinPrintDirect!

Steve_Lionel

The warning can be ignored, but you can remove the %LOC from that argument to eliminate it. For a lot of the Windows API definitions inherited from Microsoft,a lot of arguments were declared as integer by value when they were really something else by reference. This became a problem with x64 since the integer (address) size was different, so we changed these arguments to be REFERENCE and invented IGNORE_LOC to not break programs that passed %LOC(argument).

Did you assign a value to the function result variable? That would be my guess as to the issue. 

reidar
New User

I just added a simple routine that call the Print_Direct routine, see below.. I just removed the %LOC function and the I can compile without warnings. But the program crashes with the same message as befeore..

subroutine PrintFileDirect(PFile)

! 2/5-02 RJT 
!use Fortran_WinPrintDirect                

USE WinPrint_Direct     ! 19/01-14
integer ii
Character*(*) Pfile
logical*4 printer

Open(unit=3,file=PFile,form='FORMATTED',status='old',action='READ',err=999)
!ii = Print_Direct (3,printer,i,i)                ! QVF
ii = Print_Direct (3,Default_Printer=.FALSE.)     ! IVF
close(unit=3)
return
!999 write(*,*)' *******Could not open the file ***********'
999 continue
return
end

Steve_Lionel

I can't reproduce this. Could it be you have some project setting that is carried over from CVF?  I'm wondering if you have a STDCALL-C mismatch that is corrupting the stack elsewhere in the program. Did you completely rebuild the project?

I tried your code with a simple jacket program of:

call PrintFileDirect('D:\Projects\compiler_f\Miscellaneous\WinPrint_Direct\data\test.prn')
end

and it ran fine in a Debug configuration.

reidar
New User

I imported the project and upgraded to IVF. I changed some settings in the property menu to link a routine from IMSL. Currently the settings are as shown in the attachment..

Best regards, Reidar

Steve_Lionel

You skipped the most important page - External Procedures. Just attach the .vfproj file, or show the Fortran > Command Line page.

reidar
New User

Thanks foe comments Steve. Find attached the vfproj file...

Steve_Lionel

Ok - I didn't see anything amiss there.

Have you modified the WinPrintDirect source in any way? The error message references a module procedure PPRINT_DIRECT, which doesn't exist in the sample.

reidar
New User

I have not modified the WinPrintDirect source any way to my own knowledge. To be sure that I am not working with a file in which something  could be changed accidently the WinPrint_Direct_A is a fresh copy from the sample, only with my print routine added a the end

I have no variable or module named "PPRINT_DIRECT" in my source, at least nothing that is  searchable, see below:

Find all "pprint_direct", Subfolders, Find Results 1, Entire Solution, "*.*"

Matching lines: 0 Matching files: 0 Total files searched: 30

The  error message is a claim  due to an undefined variable:

Run-Rime Check Failure. The variable '_WINPRINT_DIRECT_mp_PRINT_DIRECT$PRINT_DIRECT' is being used without being defined.

( In my post  #3 is a type error, 'PPRINT_" is wrong, the actual message is as shown above, sorry for that mistake.)

Steve_Lionel

Thanks for the correction. Can you attach a ZIP of a complete project that demonstrates the error? Also, which exact compiler version are you using?

reidar
New User

I am using compiler:Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE 14.0.4.237 [IA-32]..

Is it possible that I could send the zip-file to a specific e-mail address?

Steve_Lionel

Wow - that's old. My guess then would be that you encountered a compiler bug related to uninitialized variable checking. In that case I suggest just disabling that option in the project properties (under Fortran > Run-Time) and forget about it.

View solution in original post

reidar
New User

I can make  a "stripped" version of the project, a simple version that just demonstrate the problem...

Steve_Lionel

Yes, that's what I would like to see.

reidar
New User

Attached find the zipped project. When the program starts, select "Report" from the menu and then

print report..

Steve_Lionel

Took me a while to get this to build - it uses IMSL (which I don't have) and a mismatched linker output, but I finally succeeded. It runs fine when built with 18.0.1.

reidar
New User

So its a kind of compiler debug with regard to QWin ?  There is maybe not a walk around in case of IVF 14.01...

Steve_Lionel

QWin? No. Just turn off uninitialized variable checking, as I suggested earlier.