Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28486 Discussions

Problems with installing Compiler version 11.1

michaelthaxton
Beginner
One of my users recently upgraded to Windows 7x64 professional.

His old Compaq Visual Fortran would not install on the 64 bit machine. So per the Intel Site and CDWs recommendation, we purchased the upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional Edition version 11.1.

I suspect we do not meet all of the requirement because during the install we get the following message:

The following cannot be installed: Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for applications running on IA-64.

The install then completes anyway.

When my user goes to run the Visual Studio application he does not get the option to compile any of his fortran scripts and is given the following error:

class not registered looking for object with clsid: {81A1ED1C-76B9-4363-A838-F413FCCBB606}

Neither of us has the proper background for troubleshooting the compiler as using Fortran is a small means to an end for his engineering applications and I perform a basic help desk function as secondary responsability.

We tried to contact "primier support" but were never given the option to register the product to make this support available.

Any assistance the could be offered to people without a background in troubleshooting this sort of problem would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
The following cannot be installed: Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for applications running on IA-64.

IA-64 is Intel Itanium architecture. What you have is Intel-64 which, as we users all know, is a name choice that has become an endless source of confusion. Just ignore anything to do with IA64, and do not try to install the IA64 product on a PC with an x86, Pentium, AMD, Core-2, Intel i3/i5/i7 chip.

class not registered looking for object with clsid: {81A1ED1C-76B9-4363-A838-F413FCCBB606}

This, too, is well known but this time the honors go to Microsoft. Your user can, instead of attempting to create a project from existing files, create an empty project and add existing files to it, as a work-around.

If your user still has trouble getting the old CVF projects converted, your user can, as a fall-back strategy to use until the IDE setup is functional, build projects at the command line using batch files and makefiles.

Purchasers of Intel software products need to register at the Intel Registration Center.

Your user can check through the Start Menu to find which compilers have been installed (probably, IA32 and Intel64 products).
0 Kudos
michaelthaxton
Beginner
Thank you,

As soon as I can coordinate with the use we will check in to this and pass the information along. It sounds like we don't have an install problem so much as he just needs to learn about his new interface and how to work with old files. So the trick will be for him to find help in those regards.
0 Kudos